Author Topic: Beta Bass Questions  (Read 2388 times)

Offline george

Beta Bass Questions
« on: January 24, 2008, 04:22:39 pm »
I picked up a non-working Beta Bass several months ago and have now started to reapir it. The +-15V supply had an issue with one of the BJT/zener diode regulators and that was fixed and I also had to replace one of the level pots.

The unit now works but has a wonderful 1/f (white) noise issue. The drive input pot doesn't seem to increase the noise but the level pot does seems to increase the noise - it's the same on both channels. I could use an AC coupled probe with earphone to hunt this down but I'm wondering if anyone else has been there done that??? My guess is that it's the RC4558 on the output stage of the level circuit. Thanks for the help.........george

BTW - these amps seem to be very popular - based on what they sell for on ebay and craig's - is it the input switching, the funny inverter based soft clipper (i.e. drive control) or what?

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
Re: Beta Bass Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 04:52:25 pm »
I picked up a non-working Beta Bass several months ago and have now started to reapir it. The +-15V supply had an issue with one of the BJT/zener diode regulators and that was fixed and I also had to replace one of the level pots.

The unit now works but has a wonderful 1/f (white) noise issue. The drive input pot doesn't seem to increase the noise but the level pot does seems to increase the noise - it's the same on both channels. I could use an AC coupled probe with earphone to hunt this down but I'm wondering if anyone else has been there done that??? My guess is that it's the RC4558 on the output stage of the level circuit. Thanks for the help.........george

BTW - these amps seem to be very popular - based on what they sell for on ebay and craig's - is it the input switching, the funny inverter based soft clipper (i.e. drive control) or what?

Well... no, I ain't done it with a beta. They (betas) are kinda noisy to begin with - way too many gain stages between input and output.

The 4558 is the favorite of stompbox folks because (I think) it was used in the original tube screamer.

<off topic>
Always seemed funny to me that a BJT op amp would be claimed to give a tube sound... but, if the truth be told, most people couldn't tell the difference between tube and transistors if their life depended on it... although they will claim to the grave that they can, prior to any real test of course. I always think it is a good thing that their life really doesn't depend on it. (ok, not always... there are certain individuals  :-D)
</off topic>

If there is no op amp socket, snip out the 4558 and install a socket. I've done this with way too many amps to count. I can't remember if sockets are used with the beta preamp.

Sometimes the 4558 is defective - it does happen, even (especially) with opamps. You may want to consider different dual op amp types - like a TL072 as an example.

Not really any different than swapping tubes...  :-o

Offline george

Re: Beta Bass Questions
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 11:39:14 am »
Thanks for the reply Joe. Yes if people had to bet their life on the outcome of many so called listening or subjective tests we would have a very small audio "expert" community.

I did replace one of the op amps in the level section and the noise did improve. I even used a socket, though my ability to see small things is getting worse every year (old dog syndrome) - forget surface mount rework!

Noticed that these opamps sit on the in/out of the external effects ports. I would guess after 25+ years these amps have seen their share of ESD.

THX george