Author Topic: 612 angled sunn cab dimensions?  (Read 7538 times)

Offline monolith

• "We speak volumes..."
    • MONOLITH Loudspeakers & Effects
612 angled sunn cab dimensions?
« on: April 08, 2008, 09:02:01 pm »
hello sunn friends! does anyone have the dimensions for a 612 with the angled baffles? not sure of the specific model #. always wanted one but cant find one, so i think i may build one. anyways, if anyone out there owns one or knows the dimensions, i would greatly appreciate it. thanks!
MONOLITH Loudspeakers & Effects
Portland, OR
"We speak volumes..."
www.monolith-loudspeakers.com

Offline made by hand

Re: 612 angled sunn cab dimensions?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 09:31:03 pm »
ta da ! the cab specs are...without wheels..40and one half inches tall. 24 inches wide, and 15 inches deep...the cab was called the 612s  weight 105 lbs.came with sunn 128G transducers. cab was introduced in the 1973 catalog...don't know when it was retired...so...go get your birch plywood and start building...smiles,,Bob from mass

Offline monolith

• "We speak volumes..."
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 10:38:54 pm »
killer...thanks bob, off to the lumber yard!!!
once i have it built i will post pictures for ya'll.
Portland, OR
"We speak volumes..."

Offline cromag

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 06:40:21 pm »
i think the tricky part will be joining and supporting the angled baffles and whatnot.

Offline made by hand

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 06:50:53 pm »
cromag..you mat be right on that one..i never saw the inside of that type of cab..i suspect that sunn at the time was using 45 degree angles with maybe small wood srips as braces..you can plunge router the angle baffels into the sides, you have to poke at that set up but it can be done...hey ! they did it, so can we...good luck monolith on your project...we'll be waiting.if you do post the pics....do it in stages...like the cab in the ruff...then added pieces...so we can see the start to finish cab....whoops...just saw some type O's   sorry guys......enjoy your project....smiles..Bob from mass

Offline monolith

• "We speak volumes..."
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 11:06:25 pm »
hey guys thanks for the heads up! i have been kickin' these exact thoughts around. i think i may butt the baffles to join in the middle, just make one slightly longer, as in the thickness of the stock then they will be the same width baffles from the front view.  then cut 45's on the ends to join to the cab sides. router would work as well. but looking at the beta lead combo baffles it looks like sunn just butted the baffle at the middles joint. it is going to be a fun project and i will definitely take progress photos and show you all my work. i recently built a 200s copy and i will try and post some photos for you guys.

the 200s copy is a slight variation from the original. it is actually two layers of 3/4 birch and there is no tolex and the dimension are slightly larger. but it isnt quite done. i did however get the grill cloth in today, looks great.

with the 612s i am going to try and get it dead on with measurements and specs. and it will be wrapped in tolex and all the good stuff.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 11:16:29 pm by monolith »
Portland, OR
"We speak volumes..."

Offline made by hand

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 05:44:03 pm »
monolith.......2 plys of plywood.....oh hum, to be young again...nice cab work....enjoy your next project    ...smiles..Bob

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 02:29:21 am »
Here are some photos of the inside of my 612s.  It kills.

XXX
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline djc

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 09:11:46 am »
that baffle looks close to 90 degrees.  can you confirm what angle it is?

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 10:43:42 am »
that baffle looks close to 90 degrees.  can you confirm what angle it is?

I'll check in the next day or two when I get to my practise space, and let you know.  I'm *pretty* sure they are about 90 degrees, but I'll confirm for you.

XXX
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T

Offline monolith

• "We speak volumes..."
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 09:27:54 pm »
hey man thanks so much for the pics! i bet that thing kills. yeah, if you could check that angle that would really helpful and as well, i cant quite tell that frame around the front is angled on the back side or not, and those baffles must just come in at 45 degrees from the back if it is true 90 degrees on the front. from here it just looks like the framing is 1x2"s with a true square cut...at any rate these pics are great for my project, thanks again! my pictures of the 612 copy soon! later on.
Portland, OR
"We speak volumes..."

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 03:14:55 am »
No problem!  I'll try to get some more if possible.  Anything you'd like in particular?
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T

Offline monolith

• "We speak volumes..."
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 09:42:56 am »
maybe just some pics of the top and bottom from a slight distance. so we can see how the front grill-stop framing meets the top and bottom, sides of the cabinet. i guess the other question i had was if that front grill-stop framing was the only other layer of wood on this guy? hey thanks again!
Portland, OR
"We speak volumes..."

Offline made by hand

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 12:45:59 pm »
monolith....great pics...that will help you get a good feeling on how to proceed with your cab...