Author Topic: 612 angled sunn cab dimensions?  (Read 7699 times)

Offline monolith

• "We speak volumes..."
    • MONOLITH Loudspeakers & Effects
Re: 612 angled sunn cab dimensions?
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 02:12:42 pm »
just thought as a side note i would post my recently finished version of the 200s....if any one was interested!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 08:36:45 pm by monolith »
MONOLITH Loudspeakers & Effects
Portland, OR
"We speak volumes..."
www.monolith-loudspeakers.com

Offline djc

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 10:08:27 pm »
wow, that's a lot of wood!  how does she sound?

Offline monolith

• "We speak volumes..."
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 10:15:32 pm »
yeah shes heavy as all get out, but the resonance of the beast is astounding. it holds lows very nicely and i get a nice solid tone. the weight when i originally put it together was an issue but i do not plan on moving it too often. my friends think im crazy for stacking the ply like that but i am very pleased with the final result. i am intending on using the 612s as a gig cab, so i will make sure and lighten the load next time around. i must say this one was a fun project.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 10:24:48 pm by monolith »
Portland, OR
"We speak volumes..."

Offline made by hand

heavy cab..
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 06:20:16 pm »
monolith..ya know you could of used the greatest plywood in the world, BALTIC BIRCH , whish is truly great cab building plywood..it has no voids in the plys. it comes about 13 plys, it's solid. very heavy. great results, cost some money. sounds the best. i've used the stuff..you can machine the wood like it was metal..the stuff is no secret. i'am sure there is a lot of other guys on this site that have used that type of plywood for their cabs...there is one thing you must use on the bottom of this cab when you build anything out of it...WHEELS..

Offline monolith

• "We speak volumes..."
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 06:44:57 pm »
yeah, i agree, wheels play a key role, and they are no secret either. i intend on using 1 layer of baltic birch from here on out. this 200s project is my very first attempt of building anything out of wood. like i said, it was a fun experiment and project. between being a full-time electrical engineering major and a guy with no woodworking skills whatsoever, you live and you learn, but why not give it a go. just wanted to share it with you all.
Portland, OR
"We speak volumes..."

Offline djc

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 09:06:54 pm »
hey, it looks like you did a great job, I even like the colour!  more importantly is how it sounds and if you like it, you scored.

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2008, 07:36:47 am »
Are those EV Force 15's or 15B's in there? How do you like them? I was not impressed with the force 15's but I like the 15B's

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2008, 04:00:42 pm »
Hey, the angle is indeed 90 degrees!  I measured it just a bit ago, and hopefully this will result in some serious quality building.

My suggestion: install dolly castors.  The castors on my 612s, while functional, are too small, and make me nervous when transporting my gear.  I'm currently debating if it's worth modifying it, or if I should keep it original.  I don't intend on selling it, and I think anyone who might ever want to buy one(should I ever come to that decision) would probably wind up doing it themselves. Ohh, the questions that plague...
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline monolith

• "We speak volumes..."
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2008, 10:10:48 pm »
hey thanks man, i was able to get the 612s built...below are pics. needs tolex, speaks and all the goods.enjoy!
Portland, OR
"We speak volumes..."

Offline djc

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2008, 05:27:06 pm »
you'd think these things wouldn't work by looking at them, I'd expect phase cancelation, but I've heard they sound great!  so much for mathematical equations of speaker placement :|

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2008, 01:44:05 am »
They definitely sound great!

you'd think these things wouldn't work by looking at them, I'd expect phase cancelation, but I've heard they sound great!  so much for mathematical equations of speaker placement :|
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2008, 06:19:39 am »
They wouldn't cancel each other unless the drivers were wired out of phase, all six firing simultaneously would reinforce the sound pressure.
I agree it’s a, let’s say “unique” driver configuration, probably no doubt designed to utilize the standard Sunn box.

Monolith, them are some good lookin' boxes!
You certainly weren't shy with the plywood, I hope your back is younger than mine! Keep us posted when you get them all loaded.

Offline made by hand

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2008, 10:49:21 am »
monolith...outstanding job...simply the best. !  enjoy...!

Offline monolith

• "We speak volumes..."
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2008, 11:23:49 am »
thanks everyone! i really enjoyed this project, i am going to build yet another for my band mate. this project i used a  "dummy layer" of ply. it looks like 2 layers, but its only a thin strip of ply around the front to beef it up. took bob's advice here and it certainly lightened the load. will post more pics when all is ready to rock!
Portland, OR
"We speak volumes..."