Author Topic: Sunn 612S Transducer  (Read 3858 times)

Offline jerryjg

Sunn 612S Transducer
« on: July 29, 2008, 02:08:06 pm »
 :-D
I Just Picked up a vintage Sunn 4x12 Cabinet in very good original condition for my 200S head.
Its loaded with what appear to be Alnico 12"'s named 612S  Sunn Transducers rated at 60 watts. Whats the value of the Sunn612S transducer?
Are these speaks any good whatsoever? Would I be better served upgradeing.
By the way, the speakers have seen better days, and I havent cranked em yet. They do appear to function, but some of the surrounds would need patching.Perhaps they suffer from speaqker flub or whtanot judging by their appearance
Maybe I should recone the Sunn 612S transducers if needed?
What kind of recone should I use? Who does that well?
If i wrere to X out speaks,then what would you use?
Lots of questions-thanks you all!
JBL vintage lnicos is what I was thinking.

Offline 1keoni

Re: Sunn 612S Transducer
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 03:14:31 pm »
I had the exact same cabinet back in the 80's,purchased it empty.Installed EV-12Ls paired it with my 215S powered by my Mesa Boogie D-180.Loved the sound of the 2 cabinets together.But alas in the 90's left the cabinet at my fathers house (with out the EV's) and termites got to it.The only thing that I have left is the emblem.

John

Offline jerryjg

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 01:47:46 pm »
Actually, I got off my lazy buttocks and did a search on the forum and found some great info. Nothing 100% definitve thoguh.
Ive pegged that the speakers I have , which  are orange/black"halloween" type labels and  Alnico 60 watt Sunn  Transducers out of a 612S( but in the 412s cabinet i just found) were either made by Eminence or Oxford.
Im thinking since mine DO NOT have the aluminum dustcap , but a paper dustcap, that they are Oxfords instead of Emi's, cause all evidence points to the fact that every Emi had the aluminum dustcap.

I can tell you one thing. Outside from the new Celestion Gold and Weber and a couple of ohters,I dont think there are/were but a few high wattage alnico guitar speakers ever made.  A 60 watt Alnico guitar speaker should be considered worth its weight in gold.
Im thrilled.Oxfords , especially alnicos , cannot be horrible Im guessing
Ive stiifened the cones with elmers, and sealed a few tears on the surround and will give her a go this evening. I'll post pics of the cabinet if I get a chance.
Oxfords ,give her a go this evening.
If it turns out the speakers flub out ciuase of age being used up, I'll probably slam some webers in the cabinet, or just have the transducers reconed. I'll post pics of the cabinet if I get a chance.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 07:57:28 pm »
I can tell you one thing. Outside from the new Celestion Gold and Weber and a couple of ohters,I dont think there are/were but a few high wattage alnico guitar speakers ever made.  A 60 watt Alnico guitar speaker should be considered worth its weight in gold.

In the heyday of AlNiCo speakers, 60 watters were high powered drivers.  :wink:

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 06:50:35 pm »
Sunn did manufacturer their own speakers for several years, I believe in Georgia.

I can recone them for you, I just did some PA128's, they came out very nice. Very sweet sounding to my ears.

Elmers to stiffen the cones will dramatically change the sound since the weight of the cones is now much greater than before. Of course, sound is all in your ears so there is every chance you'll love it.

JBL's would be great...and add a bunch of pounds to the cabinet weight. Remember the 200S is only 60 watts to start with. Are you playing bass or guitar through it?

Offline Humbuzz

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 02:39:53 am »
FWIW in the 70's the standard non-JBL Sunn speakers were known to be Eminience.  Eminience is much more of a major player now, so they could provide all sorts of different flavors to these cabinets.