Author Topic: Bass Cab Question  (Read 5599 times)

Offline Mike B.

Bass Cab Question
« on: September 10, 2008, 11:47:35 am »
Hi, Guys!

A friend of mine told me that Sunn made a 4X12 bass cabinet at one point. I don't recall them doing so. So, I ask you guys here in the forum: did Sunn make a 4x12 "bass" cabinet?

Thanks a bunch!

Mike

Offline mckinnon audio

Re: Bass Cab Question
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 01:07:08 pm »
  Hi Mike,I don't recall a bass 4x12",there's a couple of different 4x12"s for guitar,but I don't remember a "bass" one,someone else on here might know more,good luck,Mel.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 01:29:22 pm »
I'm pretty sure that's not correct, and that there was never a Sunn 4x12 specifically for bass. The 412S wasn't designated as specifically a guitar or bass cabinet. Most people who had them used them for guitar, although, IIRC, John Entwistle used them in his bass rig.
Isaac

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 02:30:54 pm »
i have a 412L w/red logo that i play the low w/. sounds great but i dont know if its from the old days or fenderish(godd forbid)
s
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline loudthud

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 03:28:29 pm »
I don't recall any 4x12 for bass but there was a 4x15 in the early 70's around the time of the first gen Model T. Do a search for 4x15 or 415M.

Offline Mike B.

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 02:28:52 pm »
Thanks ever so much for the replies, guys. I had a hunch Sunn never made a bass-specific 4x12 cabinet.

Oh, I know all about the 4x15 cabinet Sunn made at one point. Years ago I had one (along with the Model T head)! One of those amps (despite my extensive collection) I never should have gotten rid of.....

Thanks again!

Mike

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 02:26:42 am »
That should be an earlier Hartzell-era cabinet.

i have a 412L w/red logo that i play the low w/. sounds great but i dont know if its from the old days or fenderish(godd forbid)
s
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 12:37:27 pm »
thanx for the reply-thats what i was hoping.
also lov for the Sunn 4X15s-
i got two!
s
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline Humbuzz

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 01:42:18 am »
I remember there where two  types of 4x12 cabs; 30x30" and a taller cbinet  with stagerred 4x12s.  Several staggeredcabs have shown up on eBay claiming to be bass units because the original speaker cones had "holes" in them.  The square 4x12 cabs made good base cabs to my ear, but maybe I just made a mistake with my rig. I;had an early Coliseum Bass head, two 2-15SH vertical folded horn cabs with Altec 421 A's and a a bottom slot style 1-18SH cab.   This setup was extremely loud, but the 2-15s  had a nasty nasal honk.  Only people in the back of the room complained it was too loud.

I couldn't complain too much;I procured all the cabs on weekend night dumpster dives outside of the Tualitin factory.  Only took a month to get all the parts and tolex.  Once I found the Coluseum Bass (bench test mule)  I unfortunately sold my 67 bassman.

Offline Mike B.

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 08:13:23 am »
Funny, but I just heard that a 4x12 claiming to be a bass cabinet recently appeared on eBay. Frankly, I'd rather have some of the old 2x15s and/or 1x18s!

Thanks again for the comments, guys!

Mike

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 11:27:48 am »
I remember there where two  types of 4x12 cabs; 30x30" and a taller cbinet  with stagerred 4x12s.  Several staggeredcabs have shown up on eBay claiming to be bass units because the original speaker cones had "holes" in them.  The square 4x12 cabs made good base cabs to my ear, but maybe I just made a mistake with my rig. I;had an early Coliseum Bass head, two 2-15SH vertical folded horn cabs with Altec 421 A's and a a bottom slot style 1-18SH cab.   This setup was extremely loud, but the 2-15s  had a nasty nasal honk.  Only people in the back of the room complained it was too loud.

I couldn't complain too much;I procured all the cabs on weekend night dumpster dives outside of the Tualitin factory.  Only took a month to get all the parts and tolex.  Once I found the Coluseum Bass (bench test mule)  I unfortunately sold my 67 bassman.

The taller cabinet with the staggered 12"s is the Sceptre cabinet. I have one, but not with the original drivers.

The 412S was made and sold during Sunn's "mix and match" period. The customer decided what to use the cabinet for. IIRC, John Entwistle used them for bass, along with 118V cabinets (might have been 118S or 118M. The only difference is the driver). I imagine he rolled off the lows, though.
Isaac

Offline Sunnmon

• NO BODY WAS EVER SORRY THEY BOUGHT THE BEST
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 03:27:32 pm »
Hi,
 In the late 70's catalog Sunn offered up the 412LH. John Entwhistle certainly did use these cause I have seen the pix. See Who "tabs". Our Resident Bassist in the Who tribute band will probably let you know too. And yes I have owned the 412S and sat it on my 118V and my Coliseum(1972)bass amp on top. I was an "OX" wannabee. It was not really a bass cabinet per say but dang it sounded great, 320 watts into a CV 18" and 4 12" transvestite Sunn issue speakers. We affectionately called these issue Sunn Transducers "transvestites" and no offense meant! The 412LH was also offered in a 212LH package as well. These my Sunn lovers are quite hard to find. And you know what? I never blew the 412S ever! did however blow the CV18" twice. Traded cabs for 2 215S loaded with JBL K-140's, have 6 now.
Peace and Happiness to all
SUNNMON

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 04:57:16 pm »
No, the 412LH was definitely not a bass cabinet per se. In fact, the L stands for Lead. In was intended as a guitar cabinet.
Isaac