Author Topic: Selling a '69 Solarus Head with 2x12 cabinet  (Read 7754 times)

junumbers

Selling a '69 Solarus Head with 2x12 cabinet
« on: November 02, 2008, 08:05:50 am »
Got this amp as part of a deal for a guitar that I wanted, but could not get by itself.  Too big for what I want and not getting used at all.  Located in south central Ontario, Canada.
See link.

http://belleville.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-Vintage-1969-Sunn-Solarus-Head-w-2x12-Cabinet-W0QQAdIdZ84937287

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Selling a '69 Solarus Head with 2x12 cabinet
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 09:10:06 am »
Very nice original rig, you don't see a lot of those, particularly the amp with the proper cabinet. One thing however; that's only a 40 watt amp, not a 115 watt amp.
You have no idea how much myself and likely others here at this forum would like to see you get $1500 for it! :wink:

junumbers

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 02:34:38 pm »
Thanks for the comments.  I did check inside the head and I guess that I must have been in a bit of a rush as the 115W was power consumption.  I guess I will update my listing on Kijiji.  Found this info on Sunn Shack site and will use it for the output power, "1969 - Upgraded to 60 watts with two 6550s and piggyback construction", although mine says 2 x EL34 tubes.
Do you think the price is unrealistic?  If anyone has an opinion on this, I would welcome the input.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 03:05:54 pm by junumbers »

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 07:49:50 pm »
It appears that you have a matching amp and cabinet rig, and it looks like it's in excellent condition. Also, I think the Solarus is fairly rare.
A similar condition matched Sonic I-40 just sold on eBay for $650.
It's hard to say if the price is too high. $1500 would be more than twice what I would pay for it, but I'm personally more interested in Sunn bass gear than guitar amps and think the right person would pay up for your rig.
The hard part is finding that person!
Good Luck!

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 09:53:26 am »
As the owner of a 40 watt Sunn Solarus piggy-back amp and 2x12 cabinet myself,  I am pulling for you to get your $1500.  Mine is maybe in not quite as good a condition as yours, but it's close.  Best of luck.
I couldn't & wouldn't ever sell mine regardless of the price.  I've owned it since it was purchased new by my parents when I was about 14 yrs. old,  so we've been friends for 40 years.  Besides,  it's a great, clean amp.

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 08:40:39 am »
It looks great, but I don't know if you'll be able to get that much.  Maybe advertise it on the Toronto Craigslist, also?

If I had a cash to spare, I'd buy it from you, but unless you take good tidings and two loving cats in lieu of money, I'm going to have to hold off. :)

Got this amp as part of a deal for a guitar that I wanted, but could not get by itself.  Too big for what I want and not getting used at all.  Located in south central Ontario, Canada.
See link.

http://belleville.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-Vintage-1969-Sunn-Solarus-Head-w-2x12-Cabinet-W0QQAdIdZ84937287
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

junumbers

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 07:38:44 am »
I have relisted this amp with what might be a more realistic price.
Check it out at http://belleville.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-Vintage-1969-Sunn-Solarus-Amp-W0QQAdIdZ87931933
Thanks for all the comments and I hope it finds a good new home.

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 08:28:38 am »
So tempting!  If I weren't putting money into renovations on my rehearsal space soon, I'd probably jump on this.

Would you consider separating the amp and cabinet?

I have relisted this amp with what might be a more realistic price.
Check it out at http://belleville.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-Vintage-1969-Sunn-Solarus-Amp-W0QQAdIdZ87931933
Thanks for all the comments and I hope it finds a good new home.
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T

junumbers

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 02:35:01 pm »
Not much sense to sell them individually.  Make a reasonable offer and we will see what happens. junumbers@hotmail.com

junumbers

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 07:06:15 pm »
Well, the Solarus finally sold today.  I think it was Mr. "xsolarusx", but can't be sure.  But I hope the new owner enjoys it and puts it to much better use than I am capable of doing.  Thanks for all the feedback from other forum members.

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 12:58:33 pm »
I was thinking about it, but I've been trying to be good and not buy gear(unless you've got a Model T sitting around, of course), so I can't say it's coming home to me.  Bummer.

Well, the Solarus finally sold today.  I think it was Mr. "xsolarusx", but can't be sure.  But I hope the new owner enjoys it and puts it to much better use than I am capable of doing.  Thanks for all the feedback from other forum members.
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 06:43:29 am »
I'd sure be curious to know what you ended up getting for it.

Offline longsey

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 08:53:29 am »
Hey,

I actually ended up buying it for $750 and I don't regret it for an instant. Considering the beautiful condition of the head, cab, tubes, and footswitch not to mention the rarity of running into one of these up in Canada I had to go for it. Junumbers was also very good about opening up the head and sending me pics and was great to deal with.

The amp sounded beautiful too. Three strums and I was sold. I'm getting it back on Friday as I just got my amp tech to change to a 3-prong and replace the caps etc. He's a Super Reverb kinda guy and he was blown away by the reverb and tremolo on this guy. I can't wait to get it back.

The only other SUNN I've seen up here was the junked solarus I picked up with the weird transformer. Needless to say that was is leaving the building now.....

Offline longsey

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 11:35:01 am »
Got the "new" Solarus back Friday and man is it nice. Only got it up to about 3 and it was LOUD. I really like the way the mid-boost and contour work together, it's a neat feature and definitely makes it easier to use the bright inputs.

One thing I noticed was that the new JJ E34l's definitely broke up a lot faster then the old stock Philips 6ca7's that were in there before.

This thing sounds great. I thought for $750 I was maybe paying too much but judging by what I've seen on ebay the last couple weeks I'm feeling VERY good about my purchase. And regardless, now that I have it, who cares how much I spent? The deed is done, right? This baby sounds beautiful. I paired it up with a roland bee-baa and it was disgusting. I could feel my insides vibrating.