Author Topic: tube preferences for 6550's?  (Read 4044 times)

Offline LEADSOLDERHUFFER

tube preferences for 6550's?
« on: February 02, 2009, 02:48:02 pm »
what brand should i be looking into buying for my sceptre,
can anyone inform me on what the differneces are between the manufactures.
and which is closest to the original?
i'd like to stay as pure as possible to the original specs, and tone.

Offline fender_bender

Re: tube preferences for 6550's?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 02:13:47 pm »
Although costing about (pretty sure here) about $400 for a matched pair of Tung Sol or GE 6550's Even used they are expensive about $200 and good luck getting a matched pair. I have two matched pairs (tung-sols) used, used which btw I might be selling if they test good. I had a matched quad that came with my 1200s but one shorted on me :(

For current manufacture I would go with JJ's 6550/kt88 from eurotubes. I suggest eurotubes because they stand by the product with thier return policy and intrument amplifers/musicians are welcome whereas some likewise excelllent dealers would rather not deal with retubing a musicinas amplifiers and it is reflected in their policies reagrding instrument amps. :mrgreen:

Offline LEADSOLDERHUFFER

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 03:24:17 pm »
tell me if they test good.

Offline biltmore

• The Sound Choice
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 04:35:19 pm »
For current manufacture I would go with JJ's 6550/kt88 from eurotubes. I suggest eurotubes because they stand by the product with thier return policy and intrument amplifers/musicians are welcome whereas some likewise excelllent dealers would rather not deal with retubing a musicinas amplifiers and it is reflected in their policies reagrding instrument amps. :mrgreen:

Hell yes, Eurotubes and JJ rock!!!

Offline fender_bender

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 07:30:36 pm »
tell me if they test good.

will do, I could use the cash to retube my 1200s and keep my remaining tung-sols for recording...and even though id rather not I can put them up on feEbay/paypal if you feel more comfortable that way. peace...

Offline LEADSOLDERHUFFER

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 09:13:22 pm »
i feel better if you hand carried them on foot to me and handed them to me in person, or even like the back seat of an ol cooshy caddy would do. i guess as long as they're not hot shaking them is ok/ mailing them is ok?????  ???i'm askin.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 06:06:32 pm »
I've had real good luck with JJ's also. I just (yesterday) got some reissue Genelex KT88's, and I'm putting a quad in a new Reeves Custom 225 tomorrow and A/B testing it against another new Custom 255 with the stock JJ's in it. I probably won't have an opportunity to bench them tomorrow, but if there is something appreciably special about the reissue Gold Lions according to my ears, I'll post about it.

Offline LEADSOLDERHUFFER

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 06:09:30 pm »
BEST FORUM EVER!

Offline fender_bender

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 06:55:49 am »
i feel better if you hand carried them on foot to me and handed them to me in person, or even like the back seat of an ol cooshy caddy would do. i guess as long as they're not hot shaking them is ok/ mailing them is ok?????  ???i'm askin.

Yes they can be shipped. I'll wrap the tubes in bubble wrap, cotton balls, then bubble wrap again then peanuts if you'd like. I would probably ship them like that anyway for such a rare  relatively delicate item.

Offline LEADSOLDERHUFFER

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 09:34:21 am »
i'd want it stuffed in a unicorns horn, and wrapped with elves beard, then i'd be down to pay high dollar for ancient tubes shipped in the mail....