Author Topic: Need 2000S Cabinet Pictures/Drawings  (Read 10314 times)

Offline alcan60283

Need 2000S Cabinet Pictures/Drawings
« on: July 14, 2009, 10:14:48 pm »
Yeah guys, title says it all. If anyone has some good pictures, please send them along. I'm going to be building two of these monsters to compliment my Coliseum 880 and Coliseum Lead.

Anyone have drawings or pictures, please send them along to jcamp2112@gmail.com

Thanks in advance!

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Need 2000S Cabinet Pictures/Drawings
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 12:34:50 am »
Just by chance I have this cab opened up in my shop as I type this;
http://sunn.ampage.org/sdp/index.php/topic,4544.0.html
I could tell by the pics that the D140's were gone, and loudthud was right, it's loaded with CTS square magnet stamped frame drivers, most likely period correct but not OEM for a 2000S cab. It's also got some strange bracing on the port ducting that none of my other 2000S cabs has.
This one will either get D140's or EV SRO's, probably the EV's.
I'll get some pics in the next couple of days.

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 09:21:33 am »
http://www.richbriere.com/The_Sunn_Shack.htm

There's a two view sketch of the "60's Folded Horn" with some dimensional information regarding the port opening and baffles.  I"m not positive that this isn't
for the 200S  cab,  but I think the overall arrangement for the 2000s is the same, isn't it?

Offline alcan60283

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 11:59:40 pm »
Yeah, pics would be awesome. In reality though, I am in DIRE need of a dimensional drawing, hell, even a sketch of the inside, and a side sketch with measurements. I have always wanted a 2000s cabinet, and me and my buddy are pretty handy with wood.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 11:29:57 am »
I'll snap a few pics, but I really don't have the time or inclination to take accurate measurements and draw up a blueprint. I posted this recently;

Forum member Spliffpfunk (Bill) was building clones in a cabinet shop a couple of years ago. He hasn't posted in a while, but if you can reach him I'm sure he has the whole rundown on costs, and may even be able to build one for you. As I remember, at the time his pricing was very reasonable.
I never bought anything from him personally, but it seems Soundmasterg has/had one of his cabs;

http://sunn.ampage.org/sdp/index.php/topic,3701.msg12705.html#msg12705

It may be worthwhile to have one built instead of buying the lumber and trying to figure out one from pictures.  :wink:
The lumber alone would be pretty pricey, they didn't use cheap stuff!

Offline alcan60283

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 09:25:23 am »
Ok, Lets try this.

Is there anyone in the Tampa/Hillsborough/Pasco Florida area with a 2000S cabinet and wants to sell it, or will let me see it?

All I Want to do, is take measurements and take pictures so I can build one, since nobody wants to sell me one.

Also, I will donate $20 to someones paypal account if someone on this site will take measured drawings/ and pictures of a 2000S cabinet.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 11:26:04 am »
All I Want to do, is take measurements and take pictures so I can build one, since nobody wants to sell me one.

Did you try to get in touch with Bill (Spliffpfunk@comcast.net)? He owns a cabinet shop and was building Sunn clones for forum members. They also pop up on eBay and CL occasionally; I just bought one on eBay. You just need to be creative with shipping. There are forum members that have several 2000S cabs; for the right price you could maybe coax someone to sell you one.
What would you pay?

Also, I will donate $20 to someones paypal account if someone on this site will take measured drawings/ and pictures of a 2000S cabinet.

Here you go, free of charge!

The cab measures 46” X 30” X 15” and is made with ¾” plywood. Remember to use good quality void free plywood, if you try to use MDF the cab will weigh about 300 lbs and not be very moisture friendly. OK if the cab stays in one dry place, but a 2000S cab is a bear to move anyway, and one constructed from MDF would be best moved with a forklift.
These pics are from one I refurbished a few years ago, the one I recently bought is still lying on a bench in my shop.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your project!

Offline alcan60283

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 05:01:51 pm »
I'd be willing to spend anywhere from $400-500 for one in good shape, if it was here locally. Anyone want to let there's go so I can purchase one?

Thanks for those pictures, they help greatly.

Is there a chance you could tell me the angle of the horn inside?

Thanks again

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 12:21:43 am »
I believe it is just a 45 degree angle, but I could be wrong. Bill Lee (Spliffpfunk) was in Florida until his mom had some medical problems and now he has moved. I think he's in Tennesee??, but anyway, he can still build cabinets for you and his prices are very good. He makes a very good and accurate 2000S cabinet. Conrad Sundholm (the co-founder of Sunn) also still makes cabinets for people, and he can get you any dimensions you need on it. Go to his site and email him if you need to.

For shipping reasons I would go through Bill Lee before I'd go to Conrad since he is much closer to you there in Florida. Bill built me a custom Mesa 4x12 cabinet for guitar and it is made VERY well and sounds great. The price was very good too. You can't go wrong with Bill Lee IMO.

Greg
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 07:12:57 pm by Soundmasterg »

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 10:11:07 am »
I'd be willing to spend anywhere from $400-500 for one in good shape, if it was here locally. Anyone want to let there's go so I can purchase one?

I think you'd be quite lucky to find one for that price.
Isaac

Offline alcan60283

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 03:42:54 pm »
I don't see how $500 is unreasonable at all, in fact I think thats very fair. The heads go for about $1000 on ebay, and the cabs about $500.

Count on the JBL D-140's at $150 a piece, so $300 worth of speakers, which leaves $200 for a wooden box.

Lets be realistic here. Yes, we go apeshit over these 2000S cabinets, but thats because we are Sunn Enthusiasts, and worth is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 11:46:32 pm »
i hav an ol' 2000S-it does me well w/ ol' Ampeg 8X10 or two.
somebody threw a master vol on it but otherwise-it kix royal ass!
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 10:52:54 am »
I don't see how $500 is unreasonable at all, in fact I think thats very fair. The heads go for about $1000 on ebay, and the cabs about $500.

Count on the JBL D-140's at $150 a piece, so $300 worth of speakers, which leaves $200 for a wooden box.

Lets be realistic here. Yes, we go apeshit over these 2000S cabinets, but thats because we are Sunn Enthusiasts, and worth is in the eye of the beholder.

Sounds to me like you have it all figured out. You should have 2000S cabs coming out your ears by now!
Based on your insightful market analysis (and thanks for sharing your expertise with us neophyte Sunn enthusiasts), I would think people would be lined up to take your offer of $400-$500 for a D140 loaded 2000S cab in "good shape".  :roll:
As you stated "worth is in the eye of the beholder".

By the way; How many have you been able to obtain so far?

Offline alcan60283

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 09:42:56 pm »
I have none to speak of, and it HASNT been because of me lowballing people.

I have had an ad on craigslist here in florida multiple times, they just don't exist for some reason.

Yes I understand they are elusive, but come on here, more than $500? Theres one for sale right now in CA for $150, so they aren't "platinum coated diamonds" by any means.

I guess i'm not making many friends here, I'm already getting the rolleyes smiley. Theres no reason to start getting all defensive here. D-140's sell for about $150 a piece, regardless of what they came out of. So granted, $300 worth of speakers, and then a $300 wooden box. Even $600 would be fair. Any more than that would be rediculous, these aren't marshall plexi's, or hiwatts, or Fender Showmans. Yes we all love sunn because it's so friggin cool, and they sound GREAT, but only the ENTHUSIASTS spend that kind of money on them. There is no real demand for sunn gear, as nobody outside of us seems to know what they are, or they are enamored with the newest gadgets and gizmos. Nobody wants 35+ year old gear except for folks like us, and unfortunately, people inflate the prices artificially because of it. This is just the reality. I work at a 1000 seat concert hall as an Audio Engineer, and I come across a lot of musicians. I tell them about my sunn gear and I hear a lot of nostalgia in their stories, but most admit they wouldnt use it today.

It's unfortunate, as I really am a Sunn enthusiast, and it's all i would EVER play through. I have 5 heads myself, and I just wanna find cabinets to mate to them. ( Coliseum 880, Coliseum Lead, Concert Lead, Concert Bass, Concert Slave)

I swear if I had one here, I would make a clear measured drawing of it and share it with this community, which is all I really want. I realize these cabinets are rare, and I just want to build a couple to get a killer vintage sound to match my heads.I'm tired of the "hartke" speaker sound, and I want a vintage sunn sound. If I cant purchase one for a reasonable cost, then I guess I am screwed then. Such is life I guess.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 09:51:41 pm by alcan60283 »