Author Topic: price  (Read 5796 times)

Offline rcal5

price
« on: October 28, 2009, 08:41:42 pm »
I have a 1978 or 1979 Sunn beta lead with the 2-12 convex cabinet.
like the one that's the first pic on the Sunn Museum page. How much is it worth?

Offline Addam

• Opus Noir
Re: price
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 12:10:44 am »
Well, the answer you'll probably get is to check Ebay and CL to get some idea of what it's worth.  Also, it's only worth as much as the buyer is willing to pay and as much as you're willing to let it go for.  Basic stuff you know, but there is really now EXACT answer.

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 12:41:13 am »
$5, but I'll give you $10 for sure!
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline rcal5

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 05:06:52 pm »

Ha. Ha. Funny as a fart. If you can't give a rational coherent answer then don't answer at all, db.

Offline HRobert

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 06:21:40 pm »

Ha. Ha. Funny as a fart. If you can't give a rational coherent answer then don't answer at all, db.

Hey, lighten up a bit.  We often joke around on this site.  Besides, I'll see his $10 and raise the him to $15..

Rob

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 06:24:37 pm »

Wow, hug that anger out, dude. For the sake of pointing it out, there was nothing irrational or incoherent about my comment. There are people who walk away from garage sales with $5 amps, so my comment was half serious.

Anyhow, now that you're over that: You can probably get $300-450, providing it's in decent condition.
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T

Offline george

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 05:43:12 am »
I think "requests" for pricing posts should be banned by the moderator. It's pointless to come on to this board and ask that question - do your research somewhere else and save the bandwidth for folks who really want to participate/contribute. Then having a bad attitude and being a rude and impatient little monkey just makes it worse.

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 06:17:38 am »
  I think that's a really good idea George,it's not like there is some "Blue Book" value for these pieces of gear,it's more like what you think it's worth and what the buyer thinks it's worth,and what you both are willing to settle for.Mel.

Offline bigobassman

• "You can't have too much bass."
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 06:51:37 am »
Agreed.  Value is very subjective on lots of musical gear, with Sunn being more on the supply and demand side.  Ebay, CL and pricing guides are just that, guides.  Often times they have little impact on what YOU get for YOUR particular item(s.)  Also agreed, the OP, particularly a "new" one, was out of line with the AH response.  This forum is generally about enthusiast sharing common grounds for music and great gear, especially Sunn.   8-)
"You can't have too much bass."

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 06:57:24 am »
I agree.  Too many people ask for pricing comments here and then argue over what they are told.  Wastes everyone's time.
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 08:21:53 am »
Pricing "opinions" are absolutely a waste of time. Not only are they of absolutely zero real world value, they are often inflationary (it's real easy to throw out a big number when you don't have to back it up with personal greenbacks  :roll:) and, as we have all seen, often gets everybody involved riled up.
I regularly challenge unfounded "value" claims, and have the "smites" to prove it. It's fascinating how vindictive people can get when they are "called out". :wink:

Why would someone need/want to know what a piece is worth anyway? The only reasons I can think of is to sell it or maybe insure it. Probably usually to sell it.
If the plan is to sell it; put it on eBay and see what it brings. Then you will know exactly what it was "worth". If it's a question of value for insurance coverage or a claim, do what the insurer will do; research previous sales to get a barometer of market value.
The classified sites aren't nearly as valid for determining market ACV (Actual Cash Value) because they don't reflect final transaction numbers, but obviously can be a very useful sales tool for those looking to sell gear. When I list classified ads, I sit down and try hard to realistically determine what I would take for an item if somebody walked up to me with cash in hand. Then I list it for a little more than that and add "OBO" to the price to give myself a little "working room" for realistic offers.
It's been my experience that un-priced classified ads get very little response, and often then only ridiculous offers.

I would love to see the classified section of this forum become the "Sunn Market"; it's certainly the best collection of knowledgeable (and neophyte) Sunn aficionados I've come across, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who enjoy seeing the brand celebrated for the true music icon that it is.
Maybe we should direct “what’s it worth” posts to the classified section with FRIENDLY instructions to list it for sale. Some forums require a membership (with an annual fee) in order to post classified ads, or even to ask questions about price. That’s tboy’s call; I wouldn’t mind, but it isn’t up to me.

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 09:21:48 am »
A sticky post at the top of the Q&A/Classifieds sections referencing 'What's it worth?' posts being removed is a good idea. Maybe a 'Please read -- forum guidelines' post?
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T

Offline rmr84

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 09:27:19 am »
I completely understand where everyone is coming. I did not mean to add by asking about the 610L. In my case it was not a matter of price for resell, I am far too lazy to ship something so large ha. I was just generally curious what others were paying. I was offered to 610L’s one loaded, one unloaded. Was just wondering an average market. I appreciate the feedback and the back-and-forth was actually helpful too. I would not purchase something I did not feel was worth it, just curios. I only asked on here, since most people on here are very informed.

Offline bigobassman

• "You can't have too much bass."
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 11:06:52 am »
Not a problem for me rmr84.  While lots of responses addressed the value issue, I think that most were more aimed at the OP's attitude.  There are times that knowing a "neighborhood" of value is helpful.  I'm sure that if any of us have "neighborhood" ideas, we'd by happy to share.  There are many times that I'll stumble across gear that I'm not familiar with and would appreciate some help from someone who might be before attempting to buy, sale, trade or bid on.   8-)
"You can't have too much bass."