Author Topic: What do YOU think???  (Read 23976 times)

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
What do YOU think???
« on: December 31, 2009, 11:31:23 am »
IMO, this should make an interesting thread…

I have some questions for the Sunn fanatics on this site. At this point it's purely hypothetical (I'm not trying to estimate pre-sales for an upcoming project!  :wink:), but something I've been kicking around for years, and I figure this forum is about the best place to initiate a gauge on public reaction.
Obviously there are no “right” or “wrong” answers, it's simply your personal opinions so it shouldn’t turn argumentative.
So…

If there was an accurate reproduction of a vintage 2 X KT88 Sunn amp available commercially (professionally built and finished, plug 'n play); let's say a 200S for arguments sake, would it be saleable?

Not a reissue (that would involve Fender giving up the name), but a true clone, as faithful to the original as modern components would allow.

SS or tube rectified?

Can a 60-80 watt bass amp actually compete in the current amp world, keeping in mind that a 100 lb super efficient 2 X 15 would both be expensive, and go against the super lightweight trend that seems to be popular?

Certain changes would have to be made; i.e. a three prong power cord, etc., but in light of advances in technology certain other changes would likely be warranted out of pure practicality. In your opinion, what mods from the original would it absolutely have to include to be marketable, and when would it stop being a faithful re-pro and become its own animal?

How much bearing would a factory warranty have on your decision?

If by some stretch of the imagination it were possible, what influence would an actual “Sunn” badge have on its marketability?

Hand wired would be a given, but what if it was produced outside of the US?

Here's the biggie; what would you pay for such a beast? Please think hard and obviously the cheaper the better, but don't just throw out a low number that you would like to see. New, warranted, US built hand wired tube amps in this class generally bring $1500ish give or take. An overseas produced amp would be less costly, but could it retain the Sunn “Mojo” as well as a US built unit, if at all?

Vintage Fender, Marshall, Hiwatt, and other amps have been and are presently cloned with varying degrees of success under the original badge and "boutique", and at the very least Sunn was a more than worthy contender in it's heyday.
Overall, would such an amp be a "loser" or a "winner"?

Offline soberskipper

• Biased to class O)))
Re: What do YOU think???
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 09:58:52 am »
Since you want to produce this amp commercially and perhaps overseas, my opinions are based on a commercial perspective and not a custom client boutique perspective.

I think you could sell a couple to nerds like us... maybe 100 amps.

The weight vs. quality issue is what makes me doubt its success in the new "boutique" marketplace. There are a ton of true vintage amp fans who dont care about weight though. I'm pretty sure finding someone to make a custom neo mag speaker for the cab would be mandatory.

I'm sure anyone who would want one would be using it for guitar. It seems the days for a useable 80w bass amp are just over. You could still advertise it as a "bass" model and I don't think it would confuse your market. Anyone who would be attracted to this amp would have general amp history knowledge and general circuit knowledge in my opinion.

A switch for SS or tube rectification would be cool. It is easy to do, doesnt take up much space, and the extra cost would be minimal. A cool useful feature on a $1500 amp.

Triode/Pentode switch could be cool.

Sunn badge could produce a confusing or negative advertising campaign. You would have to convince people that Fender has nothing to do with it. Obviously, this could only be achieved by taking the amps to tradeshows and getting others in the industry to back it with their word.

Overall I would say 'no' because the market is hard to break into now but I WANT ONE.  :-D

Offline Oli

• FEED YOUR HEAD!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 10:12:37 am »
Hi,

first of all happy new year to all of us!

I did some calculations last year. I think the 200S may be not powerful enough as long as they are not sold with very efficiant cabs. Anyway, the price for a 200S would be app. 600...800€, depending on trannies etc., handmade in the EU.

To me a 2000S with a SS would be very interersting. But to place it on the market you would need the Name SUNN with all it's history.

Well, you buildt the Amp inthe USA, I do help you to sell them here... :-D

Greetings Oli

SUNN Sorado - 1969 / SUNN 2000S - 1970 / SUNN Sorado  - 1971 / SUNN 350B - 1973 / SUNN Coliseum 880 - 1973 / SUNN Concert Bass - 1972 / SUNN Concert Bass - 1979 / 2x SUNN 215B - 1970/75 / SUNN/SAD 2000S cab

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 08:36:55 pm »
That's a really interesting thought, EB, and a heckuva brain-teaser to start the new year!

While I'm like soberskipper and would want one myself, I don't think you could sell enough of them to make the endeavor worthwhile.  The size, weight and relatively lower power (by today's standards) would limit appeal. With already-existing options out there such as Hughes/HiWatt, which have more power, I'm afraid it would be an uphill battle.

And given the Fender association, a Sunn badge might raise more questions than answers and hurt perceived value. Factory warranty a good idea; U.S. manufacture a must. (Tualatin, Ore., would be the best, of course!)

Regarding price, it'd have to be priced less than $2,000 given the lower power. That's my two cents.

CLD  
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880

Offline george

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 11:28:51 pm »
Are these amp(s) going to have CSA or UL approval? If so you are in for some very intere$$$ting work to get a design through type and safety approval. Without the Sunn logo you are in the boutique market - probably just break even selling a few. Unfortunately, as you said above, the bass amp design trend is moving towards Class D (quasi class G/H??) powerful, tiny & light with similar design philosophy in the attached loudspeaker.

Mosey over to the Acoustic wiki http://unofficialacousticcontrolcorpmessageboard.yuku.com/topic/2048 and read about the trials and tribulations of getting the re-issue version of the 360 into production.

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 10:29:12 am »
In regard to the low wattage....from what I read on other forums, the trend now a-days (for most bar and club performers anyway) seems to be  line out into a powerful PA system.  Low wattage wouldn't be a problem in that case.  Include the addition of a "direct line out" (?? if that's the correct terminology) and make tone the major selling point.

I have to agree though,  that for much commercial success I think that the SUNN name would be a must.  Otherwise,  I think you would just be trying to sell another Boutique/Clone amp (all be it a good one).

I predict a change in the size/weight trend in the near future.  From what I'm reading on other forums I believe that many bass players are beginning to  "Re-discover" the wonders of 2 X 15  sound.  
Maybe a PAIR of 1 x 15's would go over better though.  More easily individually transportable.

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 01:51:50 pm »
i believe they would sell like hot cakes myself it seems to me everyone including most popular bands are going back to sunn amps or something vintage the main problem i would see is copyright infringment or patent infringment  but if they where built in the USA and affordable then yes i belive you could beat out some of the top name brands.

i would focus on the model T's,2000 s ,spectre,1200 and some of the others that had vibrato,tremolo,and reverb no crappy effects driven by solid state thou.  :lol:
1975 Sunn model T
2007Crate Blue voodoo BV 120(mercury magnetics upgraded)
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Creepy fingers harakiri superfuzz
Creepy fingers doomidrive
Earthbound Audio supercollider
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 10:26:51 pm »
Thanks for the input so far everyone! First, I want to re-emphasize that this is just an exercise at this point.
I would love to see the “Sunn rise again”. When I first started playing, Bassmans and Kustoms were the cool but common bass amps; Sunn’s were the amps I drooled over in the music store (in particular a two cabinet 2000S rig at my local walking distance music store) but could never in a million years afford to own. What the “big guns” played.
Recreating that magic would be a great personal accomplishment, but the chances of it coming to fruition are by no means a “lock”. I figured this forum would be the “best case scenario” for public opinion on the subject.

I'm sure anyone who would want one would be using it for guitar. It seems the days for a useable 80w bass amp are just over. You could still advertise it as a "bass" model and I don't think it would confuse your market. Anyone who would be attracted to this amp would have general amp history knowledge and general circuit knowledge in my opinion.

Excellent point IMO. The guitar crossover has traditionally been a factor in the long term reverence for small amps (small by current bass amps standards; Fender Bassman, and Traynor TBA-1 come to mind), and there seems to be a resurgence of interest in tube bass amps, and even small tube amps. Ashdown is releasing a bass specific 30 watter this year
http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?ID=229,
the Alessandro Bassett Hound is well respected; Ultra boutique, from what I can tell a 200S output with a B15N front end
http://www.alessandro-products.com/amp-basset.html,
and of course the venerable 30 watt Ampeg Portaflex (like the one 3 feet to my right as I type this) is still a staple, and the rumor mill buzz is that Ampeg is thinking about reissuing the B15 in a US built, hand wired “Hertitage” version in the near future.
Of course, as with these examples, to me what the amp ultimately gets used for is irrelevant as long as somebody buys it!  :wink:

I did some calculations last year. I think the 200S may be not powerful enough as long as they are not sold with very efficiant cabs. Anyway, the price for a 200S would be app. 600...800€, depending on trannies etc., handmade in the EU.
To me a 2000S with a SS would be very interersting. But to place it on the market you would need the Name SUNN with all it's history.
Well, you buildt the Amp inthe USA, I do help you to sell them here... :-D

Glad you chimed in Oli, based on firsthand experience with “boutique” amp manufacturers, the European market is extremely fertile ground for hand built US amps. I worked the Nashville Amp Expo
http://www.nashvilleampexpo.com/
in August and over beers and cigars with the exhibitors after hours the general consensus was that Europe was indeed lucrative, for some more than others.   
I spoke to the Reeves Amplification guys just today, and they told me that some of their models sell stronger in the EU than in the US, in fact one successful model has almost exclusively sold in Europe.
If this concept moves further forward you can bet I’ll be picking your brain extensively, brother!

And given the Fender association, a Sunn badge might raise more questions than answers and hurt perceived value. Factory warranty a good idea; U.S. manufacture a must. (Tualatin, Ore., would be the best, of course!)
Regarding price, it'd have to be priced less than $2,000 given the lower power. That's my two cents.

I haven’t even really given any effort towards Sunn badging, but honestly if I thought it were feasible I would love to slap a Sunn badge on such a project. For that matter, somehow also having Mr. Sundholm involved would be the icing on THAT cake.
A Sunn badge is most likely a moot point, but you do raise an interesting wrinkle that I hadn’t thought about with the “more questions than answers” angle.
However, I don’t want to even think about approaching Fender with an offer for the trademark (unless I somehow hit the lottery), and I don’t know but suspect that Mr. Sundholm was done with “Sunn” many “Moons” ago.
The lower the price the better, particularly with bass gear. It’s been my observations that bassist and guitarists are indeed usually two different mindsets, and bassists are notoriously cheap!
It’s obviously not a set rule, and as a bassist myself I’m not trying to “throw stones”, but I’ve seen guitarists regularly pay thousands of dollars for amplification, but bassists generally start to squeal at about a grand.

Are these amp(s) going to have CSA or UL approval? If so you are in for some very intere$$$ting work to get a design through type and safety approval. Without the Sunn logo you are in the boutique market - probably just break even selling a few. Unfortunately, as you said above, the bass amp design trend is moving towards Class D (quasi class G/H??) powerful, tiny & light with similar design philosophy in the attached loudspeaker.

Yep, there are a number of $ub$tantial hurdles, all of which contribute to the ultimate pricing of any product, and certification can be intimidating when it comes to electronic gear manufacturing. In this theoretical scenario I think CE is the most important, particularly based on the International market potential for US built musical gear.
And, IMO you are likely correct that without a Sunn badge boutique would be the market. It’s interesting that you mention the Acoustic situation, seeing all that blue in GC kinds of gets my wheels turning, but that is a market that is MAJOR investment, you have to sell your soul to the Sam Ash or Bain Capital “devils”, and would almost require off shore manufacture and corner cutting production focusing on price, price, price.
All of which I have little interest in being associated with personally, and far too much headache at this point in my life!

Uhmmm… By the way, have you got any more of those dandy knobs? I might need a couple thousand!  :roll:

In regard to the low wattage....from what I read on other forums, the trend now a-days (for most bar and club performers anyway) seems to be  line out into a powerful PA system.  Low wattage wouldn't be a problem in that case.  Include the addition of a "direct line out" (?? if that's the correct terminology) and make tone the major selling point.

+100. A direct out would go a long way towards leveling the SPL playing field for a low watt bass amp. A lot of bassists even just run into the PA through a DI with no amp at all.
The problem with that is that they also have no tone at all in my opinion. When I got involved with the Reeves C225 project, the two design parameters I was most insistent on were; a DI off the output transformer to get as much of the tubey tone goodness as possible to the PA if necessary, and 24” width so it wouldn’t look dorky on most modern bass cabs (a personal pet peeve of mine).
A similar DI on this theoretical 200S clone is one of the “in light of advances in technology certain other changes would likely be warranted out of pure practicality” I was referring to in my initial post.

I predict a change in the size/weight trend in the near future.  From what I'm reading on other forums I believe that many bass players are beginning to  "Re-discover" the wonders of 2 X 15  sound. 
Maybe a PAIR of 1 x 15's would go over better though.  More easily individually transportable.

Absolutely. 410’s are still dominant, but the trend is changing. Again back to the Reeves; by far the majority of the R&D for the speakers cabinets were done with a Sunn 215S cab.
Loaded with the Reeves designed drivers it sounded the best of the myriad other commercial boxes they bought, and “acoustically balanced” Thiele boxes they built for comparison, by a pretty wide margin too. When the Sunn cab made the rounds of working bassists, to a person they in essence said "sounds great; cut it in half”.
And, that’s where the production Reeves 115 cab came from.

the main problem i would see is copyright infringment or patent infringment

No worries there, the last thing I need is to get in that pickle. If I were to actually do this type of project, covering my assets would be job one for my attorney.

i would focus on the model T's,2000 s ,spectre,1200 and some of the others that had vibrato,tremolo,and reverb no crappy effects driven by solid state thou.  :lol:

I’m sure the Model T is a great amp, but my heart lies with the Sundholm era Sunn gear. As I mentioned above, the 30” wide Sunns are a logistical problem from an aesthetic standpoint for me, so the four output amps would have to be re-engineered to fit a smaller chassis while being faithful to the original circuit. Not a problem, but so far beyond this theoretical discussion that it’s probably not relevant to this thread.
I would think that he first step would be no effects at all, and although as a bassist myself it not relevant, I’m no fan of transistors in the signal path, ever.

Thanks again for all the input, and keep ‘em coming!

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 10:36:33 pm »
you know you could take and do like everyone is doing with the vintage effects pedal and call it a "clone" hehehe first thing i would do (ive been thinking lol) would be to take and open up a sunn amp that you really want and make a list of all parts you would need to make it and then get pricing and see if its financially possible to it without breaking the bank from what ive gathered from working on mine the thing that cost the most is tubes and transformers, anyway just food for thought
1975 Sunn model T
2007Crate Blue voodoo BV 120(mercury magnetics upgraded)
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Creepy fingers harakiri superfuzz
Creepy fingers doomidrive
Earthbound Audio supercollider
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 02:50:08 pm »
You've put a LOT of thought into this, EB!  Good for you.

Like you, I'm partial to the Sundholm-era gear (although my Sorado is a '71, the amp and cabs are identical to the earlier ones). Please keep us posted on this project, as I think there will be great interest among forum members as well as beyond.

Also, since you mentioned in one of your latest post on this thread, I'm still intrigued by the Reeves 115 but it'll have to wait for now as I just found a pristine 115RH to pair with my 115V. (UPS should deliver it any minute now.)

CLD
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880

Offline Happy Face

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 06:37:24 pm »
Ah, EB didn't realize you had been involved in birth of the Reeves. Big kudos on your insistence on the 24" width. Among other things on that beauty...

Bass Player's perspective: There's a point on the move to lighter amps augmented by DI. But you notice most are pretty powerful in their own right. Probably because you cannot always count on PA support, unless you strictly play at urban music bars. Get hired to play an outdoor party and you love to have that power on your own rig. (I LOVE those cause i can really crank up my amp and feel the air like in the old days  8-) ) So for the player who wants one amp, a lower power head might not work.

But your target would prolly be old geezers like me who love(d) Sunn and can afford to keep more than one amp. There I'm not so sure. A few years ago i sold my last 200s and Sorado heads because of the power issue. Yes, a DI might have helped, but i have no prob with miking a cab. Or using multiple heads. So not sure on the demand from geezer bass players, but, I'm just one moron babbling.

The Reeves is a more practical wattage as is the Orange AD200 (which sell slowly in the used market).

Mr Contrary Indicator.

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 12:06:52 pm »
Gerald Weber once told me that a high percentage of his customers were lawyers. Lets say older guys with high disposable incomes that play as hobbyists. Not a huge market. There may also be a small market for studio musicians.

If you try to break into that market, a certain amout of sales will be lost to those who want an "Ampeg" or flat EQ. Customizing the preamp may be permissable under some safety agency rules and you should investigate this. You could try to make a dual channel amp that would be everything to everybody but that is getting away from the original concept.

European sales is a whole 'nother can of worms because of the ROHS regs. Check this thread:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t8530/

The bottom line is frankly, the bottom line. I don't think sales of a mass produced amp are going to cover the costs. The price and availability of vintage Sunn amps will not drive the sales of new gear to the point that new amp production becomes profitable.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 09:52:53 am »
Like you, I'm partial to the Sundholm-era gear (although my Sorado is a '71, the amp and cabs are identical to the earlier ones). Please keep us posted on this project, as I think there will be great interest among forum members as well as beyond.

Let me amend my earlier post; Sundholm era designed gear. I will keep the forum posted, however as I alluded to earlier this “project” may well never get beyond the posting stage.

Also, since you mentioned in one of your latest post on this thread, I'm still intrigued by the Reeves 115 but it'll have to wait for now as I just found a pristine 115RH to pair with my 115V. (UPS should deliver it any minute now.)

I don't want this to turn into a Reeves thread, but… For a while now I've been banging away on a new bass specific Reeves product that I suspect will be making it into production soon. I'll get more specific if and when I get the OK from the Reeves “skunkworks” to post about it.

Ah, EB didn't realize you had been involved in birth of the Reeves. Big kudos on your insistence on the 24" width. Among other things on that beauty...

Well, truthfully my involvement mostly stems from being a four decade gigging, convenient, bass playing tone freak with just enough technical knowledge to sort of put my ideas into “geek speak” for the real engineers.
But, being as unbiased as I can, I have to admit that the big Reeves is a freekin’ monster amp.

Bass Player's perspective: There's a point on the move to lighter amps augmented by DI. But you notice most are pretty powerful in their own right. Probably because you cannot always count on PA support, unless you strictly play at urban music bars. Get hired to play an outdoor party and you love to have that power on your own rig. (I LOVE those cause i can really crank up my amp and feel the air like in the old days  8-) ) So for the player who wants one amp, a lower power head might not work.
But your target would prolly be old geezers like me who love(d) Sunn and can afford to keep more than one amp. There I'm not so sure. A few years ago i sold my last 200s and Sorado heads because of the power issue. Yes, a DI might have helped, but i have no prob with miking a cab. Or using multiple heads. So not sure on the demand from geezer bass players, but, I'm just one moron babbling.
The Reeves is a more practical wattage as is the Orange AD200 (which sell slowly in the used market).

I’m on that same “geezer” page as far as using a DI. It’s a last resort, I will mic my rig way before I’ll DI it, and only then if I absolutely can’t use only stage volume alone. You are dead on; I couldn’t get by with a 60 watt amp as my only rig.  I’ll play some small venues with a 200S rig only, but I’m fortunate to have as much firepower as I need to bring for anything short of an arena gig. I’m not sure what percentage of the bass amp buying market is in that position though.

Gerald Weber once told me that a high percentage of his customers were lawyers. Lets say older guys with high disposable incomes that play as hobbyists. Not a huge market. There may also be a small market for studio musicians.

Well, what would HE know about it?  :roll:
Not surprisingly Mr. Weber is right on target with my personal experience. I learned that analogy was accurate at the first amp show I worked years ago. In an effort to build rapport; I’d ask the attendees about their “bands” and get blank stares about 80% of the time. They largely don’t leave the house with their amps, maybe jam with friends a couple of times a year, but yet they were there to drop a few thousand dollars on an amp. Sometimes a 5 or 6 watt combo that sounds glorious but isn’t loud enough to play a Starbucks. They also generally have the means to drop a couple of thousand like most people drop a couple of hundred; not frivolously, but no skin off their nose either.
Almost “gadget” status rather than “working” status rigs.
Granted though, the attendees at these amp shows are about 99.9% guitarists, with just an occasional bassist floating through and the shows are generally marketed as such. True bassists are a different breed, and I suspect that there are even fewer of the hobbyists you refer to, so the market may be proportionally smaller still.

If you try to break into that market, a certain amout of sales will be lost to those who want an "Ampeg" or flat EQ. Customizing the preamp may be permissable under some safety agency rules and you should investigate this. You could try to make a dual channel amp that would be everything to everybody but that is getting away from the original concept.

Agreed again. The motivation for this concept is actually what a healthy 200S rig sounds like. IMO, it will hold its own with anything tonally, but obviously has some serious limitations regarding SPL and portability.

European sales is a whole 'nother can of worms because of the ROHS regs. Check this thread:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t8530/

The bottom line is frankly, the bottom line. I don't think sales of a mass produced amp are going to cover the costs. The price and availability of vintage Sunn amps will not drive the sales of new gear to the point that new amp production becomes profitable.

From the outset, I figured there were two diametrically opposed paths to take to approach a rebirth of Sunn.

Using the Acoustic reissue as a model; I believe that Bain Capital could have just as easily resuscitated the Sunn brand for a line of low end imported bass gear and accomplished at least the success the have enjoyed with the Acoustic branded gear. There may be room for a similar endeavor using the Sunn brand for recognition and “instant reputation”, but honestly I don’t know how successful/unsuccessful GC has actually been with the Acoustic project so there is no real basis for comparison.
I’m pretty sure that the margin is “generous”, and the Acoustic reissued gear is certainly inexpensive, so although I’ve never been inside one of the new Acoustic amps, I’m relatively sure they aren’t a real quality build. This doesn’t mean they don’t sound good; in fact the ones I’ve played are on par with the other imported mass produced PCB gear I’ve played IMO.
However, as I alluded to in earlier posts, I don’t have the wherewithal or the interest in being involved with a price driven whore campaign. Well, not again anyway…  :wink:

The other path would involve going “boutique”. I’m confident that a small, ultra high end bass amp would pay for itself if it wore a Sunn badge, had concessions to the 21st century but remained basically faithful to the original, and got into the right hands from the outset (certain reviewers, trade magazines, etc.).
I’m also confident that getting the Sunn trademark from Fender would be akin to hell freezing over logistically, and there are plenty of boutique all tube 60 – 100 watt amps available to a limited qualified audience already.

Which means that in essence I’m where I was at the outset of this thread, the posts have been helpful, and have provided some angles I didn’t think of, but haven’t got me any closer to a prototype OR dissuaded me from doing so.
Thanks for the comments, and don’t be shy about posting your thoughts fellow Sunnatics! I certainly appreciate the input, and the more of it I get, the better understanding I’ll have of the “big picture”.

Offline Ryan Phelps

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 05:20:43 pm »
Hey EdBass,
Very interesting idea! I suspect that the market for such an amp would be limited. Fewer numbers means higher cost....perhaps more of a boutique amp for old farts like me, guys with the money and studios. I posted a few months ago on another topic thread about the Sunn "clone" kit that Weber (the late Ted Weber) makes. This idea follows the post that Tacklebox455 suggested to a degree.....how about a "clone" kit. Weber's company (I think one of his kids is now running the company) still offers this kit for DIY guys that are handy with a soldering iron. Weber made many changes to the classic Sunn (Dynaco-based) circuit....I think to accommodate both commonly available vacuum tubes and, perhaps, off-shore manufacturing (most , if not all of the components, are made in China, I suspect). You can go to his website and compare the schematic to Sunn's original schematics.....the phase inverter is different, the tone stack is different and it doesn't use an unltralinear output transformer. I have not built one of Weber's Sunn "clones", so I don't know how his design compares to an original Sunn amp. I did build one of his 18 watt Marshall clones for my son about 2 years ago though and it sounds great.
On a related note, I recently purchase a Carvin BR515N bass combo.... a very current bass combo design with a Class D power amp, neodymium speaker, tube pre-amp, etc......pretty much state-of-the-art for bass amplification. I own a ton of vintage Sunn tube bass amps and even a 1967 Ampeg B-15....these are my standards for bass amps. But I was tired of hauling my Ampeg and Sunn amps to jams with my buddies. So I succumbed to the allure of light weight, tone flexibility....the Carvin really does a great job.

Ryan