Author Topic: Looking for my first! Sunn amp WANTED  (Read 6582 times)

Offline Rio)))n1989

• rock n' roll.
Looking for my first! Sunn amp WANTED
« on: January 25, 2010, 07:39:03 am »
I am looking to buy my first Sunn amp. Not much of a selection on ebay as of right now that I am familiar with, so I thought I would try and look on the forum. Anyone looking to sell?

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Looking for my first! Sunn amp WANTED
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 10:53:04 am »
Your first Sunn? Don't you already have a Concert Lead that you need a footswitch for? If not, why did you post about it in almost every forum on this site?
Just curious...  :roll:

Offline Rio)))n1989

• rock n' roll.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 12:29:51 pm »
Ed,

I was in the process of getting one online, but was outbid in the last minute. It didn't have a footswitch for it, and I wanted to see if anyone had one that I might be able to get when I got it. New to the forum, sorry to have been an annoyance for over posting

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 02:44:29 pm »
No problemo, as you can tell this isn't a very high volume site. Pretty much everybody reads every post, so when the same post pops up in multiple topics it stands out.
What are you looking for; tube, SS, older or newer, guitar, bass? What's your budget?

I've got a Beta Lead 4X10 combo with a footswitch that I'll never use and could maybe be talked out of. I figured if I held on to it I could eventually get $500 for it, but it's not there yet.  :wink:

Offline Rio)))n1989

• rock n' roll.
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 03:09:11 pm »
I first heard of Sunn through a down-tempo metal band my old band went on tour with summer 08. He had a Model T reissue and a 200s. Ever since then I wanted to get one but the Model T's are hard to come by unless you got enough change to throw. Looking for something in a head form for guitar though. I really want to run through a delay processor and play in stereo through two amps. Is there a combination you can think of that you have seen that sound good together, or do you think this may be excessive?

Offline grimniggzy

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 01:56:26 pm »
There's no such thing as excessive here.
I'd say a solid state amp will work well for the $ it will cost you
I'm thinking maybe some combo of Concert Lead/Bass, Beta Lead/Bass or Coliseum Lead/ Bass to run in stereo.
But all you'd need is a Slave unit and another Sunn head to run 2 rigs connected through the power amp/pre amp section of the amps.
Sunn Coliseum Bass--->Sunn 215B
Sunn Beta Bass--->Ampeg 410HLF
Sunn Beta Lead--->Marshall 4X12
2 Sunn Concert Basses
3 Fender P's, 1 Fretless J, 2 Statss, AmpegPlexiBass
OC-2 + QTrons + RATs + VTBass

Offline Rio)))n1989

• rock n' roll.
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 12:25:16 am »
Could you run a tubed non-sunn head into a solid state sunn and still get the job done? I saw a guy play what looked like an orange rockerverb through what looked to be a coliseum lead, or maybe he had the sunn as a back up? I am not quite sure. Looked pretty sweet though. If you can do this, would you be able to get effects (like reverb) when you use it as a preamp if the tube head doesn't have a built in reverb? Let me know if I'm not making sense haha

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 08:20:14 am »
Could you run a tubed non-sunn head into a solid state sunn and still get the job done? I saw a guy play what looked like an orange rockerverb through what looked to be a coliseum lead, or maybe he had the sunn as a back up? I am not quite sure. Looked pretty sweet though. If you can do this, would you be able to get effects (like reverb) when you use it as a preamp if the tube head doesn't have a built in reverb? Let me know if I'm not making sense haha

Maybe you know this, and sorry infer that you don't if in fact you do... but, you do know that you can't just plug the speaker output of one amp into another amp, right? You have to use a preamp out on the first amp, if you use the speaker output you are asking for all kinds of trouble. I don't think the Rockerverb has a pre out is one of the reasons I'm mentioning this.
As far as reverb, if you used the Concert as a slave by using the power amp in you would bypass the reverb in it, and while you could probably use the effects loop on the Rockerverb to send a signal to the Concert, that would also bypass the reverb on the Orange. Of course, you would also have to have the Orange plugged into a speaker cab or a dummy load also, and if you used a cabinet the Orange's reverb would work through that.

Offline Rio)))n1989

• rock n' roll.
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 12:24:51 pm »
yeah i knew you cant plug the speaker output to the other amp. I guess your second point about the power amp was what I was referring to. I suppose I didn't word that well.