Author Topic: JBL's- K VS E  (Read 13029 times)

Offline PBman

Re: JBL's- K VS E
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 05:17:22 pm »
Measurments-

15" deep

24"  wide

40" tall

The 200s cab was 9" deep , the 2000s was 15"  but  width looks right for a 200s.@000s height was 48" .  The height on this one is ok for a 200s, the depth puzzle me for being 40" high. The brochure spec height for a 200s is 42", 48" for the 2000s

Going to look at it tomorrow

Offline PBman

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 05:49:59 pm »
I stand corrected- I looked up my old 68 brochure

It's a 200s cab- 40' H  x 24"  x 15"

Hope it fits in the back seat of a Camry, I'd think it would

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 07:21:44 pm »
Well as much as I hate being wrong, I'm even happier to see you get a great score!
Your recent posts actually made me get off my duff walk out to my shop to take a picture of the only 2000S cab I have with a removeable grill cover, and Lo and Behold it does seem much larger than the one you posted relative to driver size.
Probably a good thing, since I can't even imagine trying to wrestle this beast into a Camry!  :wink:
I got this one over the summer, for some reason the original owner unscrewed the grill cover, and added velcro and an additional Sunn badge on the baffle board.
I asked him why when I picked it up, he gave me a strange look and said; "Because it looks so cool!".
I recently swapped out the D140's for a pair of EV SRO's, so no shiny dust covers on this one.

Offline PBman

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 07:28:45 pm »
Tomorrow should be fun. While I was looking up the K specs I also read about the K145. Do you have any cabs with those and please compare

thanks

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 12:03:52 am »
Tomorrow should be fun. While I was looking up the K specs I also read about the K145. Do you have any cabs with those and please compare

thanks

I don't, the only time I came close was when I bought a pair on eBay with the intention of using them in a 2000S cab but they didn't survive the trip. Actually, I'm pretty sure you might remember that episode, Rich...  :roll:

A friend of mine plays a SVT into a pair of K145's in custom SSI cabs, and a Marshall Super Lead into a 2X12 Celestion cab as his bass rig and it absolutely wails. I couldn't make a direct 140 comparison, but his 145's sound phenomenal, lots of thump and pretty good definition.

Offline MarkG

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 12:14:18 am »
EdBass...
Just curious,,have you ever compared the performance of a 200S cab with a 215B cab ?

If so any preference?

Offline PBman

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 04:57:40 am »
Ed, I remember, but didn't we fix that some how? Didn't they come back and I had to make  claim. My memory is a bit fuzzy on that

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2010, 09:45:54 am »
EdBass...
Just curious,,have you ever compared the performance of a 200S cab with a 215B cab ?

If so any preference?

I've used both cabs pretty extensively, but never really A/B'ed them side by side with the same drivers in them. That said, I think the performance is very similar. My 200S cabs are, and pretty much stay, loaded with D140F's. As I've mentioned, they are really a pain to unbutton and button up, and a lot of high end cast frame drivers don't really fit in them anyway.
My 215's (mine are 215S models, same as the 215B except for cosmetics) see a lot more use. I have a whole bunch of different 15" drivers; JBL, EV, Gauss, Altec, CTS, Eminence, etc., and the 215S cabs are the guinea pigs for most of my "experiments" because they are so easy to load and unload compared to the 200S cabs.
I donated one of my 215S's to Reeves for use in the development of a cab to pair with their C225 bass amp. The 215S loaded with EVM 15L's sounded  superior to all of the other "great" currently available cabs that they purchased for comparison to everyone who listened, and in the long run they ended up flat out cloning the 215S box, but actually as two 115 cabs.
So, I know I've mentioned the Reeves project before, but IMO this is real world testament to the integrity and staying power of the old Sunn cabs when stacked up against current cabs.

Of course, everybody on this site already knows how good they are... :wink:

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2010, 10:13:22 am »
Ed, I remember, but didn't we fix that some how? Didn't they come back and I had to make  claim. My memory is a bit fuzzy on that

It turned out fine on my end; except for not getting to experience a 2000S cab with K145's.  :wink:
I have the worst luck with shipping drivers of anyone in history, at least the 145's looked OK; unlike the SRO's I bought in MI. I bought 8 of them and 4 of them looked like the picture, brand new re-cones too.  :cry:
I'm really not exactly sure how the shipper managed to cause such damage, but they took a whale of a hit somewhere along the line. The boxes showed almost no damage.

Offline PBman

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2010, 01:19:14 pm »
Well I just picked up the cab, nice success and real nice seller. A real vintage guy at heart. I tried the cab through an old West amp which sounded real fine.  After taking it home ,and plugging into the 2000s, there are  some cabinet rattles to look into. I'll take off the back, once my power drill charges. I'll take a look but I think it may need a few T nuts. Over all a positive Craigslist experience. But how I miss the Phatduck Craigslist search

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 09:58:01 pm »
I stand corrected- I looked up my old 68 brochure

It's a 200s cab- 40' H  x 24"  x 15"

Hope it fits in the back seat of a Camry, I'd think it would

The difference is the casters. The cabinet itself was 40" high, 42" with casters.
Isaac

Offline PBman

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2010, 05:38:13 am »
Should I be concerned that I bought the E cab instead of the K's.?The seller really thought it was the K cab and appoligized.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2010, 08:00:29 am »
Should I be concerned that I bought the E cab instead of the K's.?The seller really thought it was the K cab and appoligized.

I don't know if there is anything to be concerned about. They are different speakers, but value wise they are similar, and tonally it's just a matter of personal taste IMO.
The E series will take more punishment, but some prefer the AlNiCo driver's tone. What are you going to drive them with?

Offline PBman

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 08:02:01 am »
the 2000s & Traynor YBA 3A super