Author Topic: Help me identify these cabs pls!  (Read 5428 times)

Offline madaradio

Help me identify these cabs pls!
« on: February 27, 2010, 11:03:09 pm »
hi guys,

well, today I picked up two cabs today for $200 (cheap).  the guys threw in 2 jbl k140 for me to load the cabs with.

The thing is that whoever had these cabs before the seller totally dismantled the baffle on both.  So I'm wondering what model these are so I can try to rebuild them as close to original spec as I can.

They both measure 29" high, 24" wide, 11.5" deep.  I'm pretty sure one of them came from a sorado but not 100%

here's what they look like.  any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline loudthud

• Administrator
Re: Help me identify these cabs pls!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 08:17:20 pm »
Those are not Studio PA cabinets. Studio PA cabs have three screw corners on the front and the thicker faux front like 200S cabinets. The top pic looks like the baffle board was replaced without it being painted black under the grill cloth. Probably Sonaro cabs or possibley Solarus cabs if the back has been replaced.

Offline madaradio

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 04:11:38 pm »
well I found out that the bottom one is definitely a sorado cab, and the top may be as well since the measurements are the same.  And yes the baffle was replaced in the top one.  I will be replacing it soon.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 09:31:36 am »
well I found out that the bottom one is definitely a sorado cab, and the top may be as well since the measurements are the same.  And yes the baffle was replaced in the top one.  I will be replacing it soon.

I don't think the Sorado was ever available with anything besides the ported 42" X 24" X 15" 2X15 "economy" cab. Sonaro maybe? I think those were only available as a 29" X 24" X 11.5" combo amp though, and your the baffles may have been modified, but those cabs certainly don't look like they were ever combo amps.

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 09:43:01 am »
Ditto to EB's comment - the Sorado only came with the 215 cab he mentioned.
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 11:13:42 am »
 I've got a 2 piece Sonaro,seperate head and cab.,cab is a 1 x 15" looks very similar to that one,it's not here I leave it at a rehearsal spot,but it's the same size as my Solarus 2 x 12",just a different baffle board and a full back.Mel.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 02:12:26 pm »
I've got a 2 piece Sonaro,seperate head and cab.,cab is a 1 x 15" looks very similar to that one,it's not here I leave it at a rehearsal spot,but it's the same size as my Solarus 2 x 12",just a different baffle board and a full back.Mel.

I'd say we have an answer! I actually won a 115 cab matching those dimensions on eBay about 10 yrs ago, but the seller took the money and ran.  :x
I never knew what it was though, it said "Sunn" and it went cheap. Of course, I eventually found out why...
I got taken on a MIA Jazz in the same month on eBay, PayPal probably thought that I was up to something!

Offline madaradio

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 06:58:20 pm »
thanks everyone.

Sonaro it is!

I have to add....  this cab sounds so good when playing guitar through these k140's

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 10:17:28 pm »
Keerist!

Two Sunn 1x15 cabinets for $200, and the seller "threw in" two JBL K140's?

Why can't I find deals like that?
Isaac

Offline Kolected

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 02:09:24 pm »
Just joined the forum. Looking forward to seeling some my old-school Sunn to make my Wife happy and to help with the retirement.

The cabinet posted is the same size of the Studio PA. If the speaker boards were replaced, that would make sense where the original horn opening could have been eliminated.
Look on the bottom of the cabinet for a chrome steel stand bracket or a 2" hole where the chrome bracket may have once been installed.

I have four of the Studio cabinets for sale soon. (The amp was stolen from me from a guitar shop owner in Mission, KS. some years ago.

Sinceriously
60's- 70's were a blast 'till disco.  Hate to leave you Sunn.

'67 Sunn Studio PA Speakers (four)
'72-'73 Concert Leads (two)
'73 Coliseum 880
'73 Coliseum Slave
Sunn bass cabinets
 Unsunn - too much to list