Author Topic: Beta Lead Vs Coliseum Lead  (Read 4148 times)

Offline EarthRumbles

Beta Lead Vs Coliseum Lead
« on: April 17, 2010, 10:34:53 am »
Anyone want to give a clear break down of the major differences between these two amps as far as general tone, cranked gain tone, versatility, max watts at lowest stable ohms,  any major technical differences, how do they handle low tunings (c standard), etc. Is one considered the superior amp and if not one of these what is considered the superior amp in the solid state line. Really any info you have would be helpful and thanks in advance.
Reissue Model T
Sunn 412L
Sunn Beta Lead 410 Combo
Sunn 610L
Pair of Sunn Model 2
Pair of Sunn AX12
Sunn SPL-2216
Sunn SPL-412

Offline cromag

Re: Beta Lead Vs Coliseum Lead
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 12:14:46 pm »
in my opinion the coliseum lead is very clean with a lot of headroom.  it also has the second channel that has the reverb as well (which i don't use).  so to me, the name kind of gives you an idea of what it was intended for.... so the people in the back of the coliseum can hear you playing.

the beta lead can get the nice clean tones as well.  but can also get down right nasty and distorted.  in a good way of course.  just listen to early animosity era corrosion of conformity and the melvins.  there is a reason why buzz uses (he may have moved on to other set ups at this point) the beta pre amps live.  cliff burton used a few beta bass amps in the early days too.

the concert lead gets gnarly as well.

i actually prefer the later (red logo) sunn solid state heads to any of the sunn tube heads that i have personally used / heard.  except for the model T of course.   another reason i may like the later red logo sunn stuff is because of lot of people prefer the earlier amps.  i'm just weird like that though.

if you can get either one for a good price, i say do it.  you will not be disappointed with either.

Offline grimniggzy

Re: Beta Lead Vs Coliseum Lead
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 10:35:50 am »
I also prefer the Red Knobbed Solid State Sunn's by far.
Sunn Coliseum Bass--->Sunn 215B
Sunn Beta Bass--->Ampeg 410HLF
Sunn Beta Lead--->Marshall 4X12
2 Sunn Concert Basses
3 Fender P's, 1 Fretless J, 2 Statss, AmpegPlexiBass
OC-2 + QTrons + RATs + VTBass