Author Topic: Beta Lead Speaker Output Questions  (Read 3000 times)

Offline redhare

Beta Lead Speaker Output Questions
« on: May 14, 2010, 08:40:06 am »
Hi, y'all. I posted this on the Music Electronics forum and didn't get any takers. So I am reposting here. Just hunting info / knowledge about my own gear. I have a Sunn Beta Lead head. Love love LOVE the sound. I'm a bit clueless on some of the technical aspects, just a dumb guitar player, so excuse my ignorance in advance. My questions...

The amp has 2 speaker outputs, that I believe are full parallel, 100w @4ohms. Why two? What advantage do you get from two outputs?

What happens to the ohm rating if you use both outputs?

More details:

I want to match this head with a Marshall 1960a 4x12. The Marshall is pretty friendly in terms of inputs; mono @4ohm or 16ohm or stereo @8ohm. I realize I can run one output from the Sunn to the Marshall @4ohm and be done with it. I just want to make sure I'm not missing some nuance or feature I may not be aware of.

Also, I play in a cover band (so I need to sound like a LOT of different guitarists). So with the cover band I use a Digitech GSP1101. I run mono-out of the GSP into the Both input on the Sunn. I use the Sunn's A/B switch to cut through the mix on solo's (channel B has the Volume set a couple notches higher and a touch more high and mid). I also do NOT use the cabinet models on the GSP, just the amp models, and the Sunn in this case is basically just a big ol' power amp, not providing a lot of color to the sound.

Any other suggestions on a better configuration? I'm pretty happy with it as is, but if there are other/better ways to utilize this gear, I'm willing to try it out.

Thanks

-Red

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Beta Lead Speaker Output Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 11:21:27 am »
As far as the impedance goes, I'd say you've already got it covered: one out from the Beta to the 4 ohm input on the cabinet. YOu could go 16 but I don't see any advantage in reducing your available power with a solid state amp like the Beta.
Isaac

Offline redhare

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 11:32:54 am »
Cool. I understand using one output @4ohm to the Marshall cab.

In general, still confused, why 2 outputs from the amp? How would one use this feature? And how would impedance be changed? I am assuming that impedance would drop if you used both outputs (as I have read they are fully parallel).

Offline siamesetwins

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 04:55:10 pm »
In general, still confused, why 2 outputs from the amp? How would one use this feature? And how would impedance be changed? I am assuming that impedance would drop if you used both outputs (as I have read they are fully parallel).

To run two 8 ohm cabinets for a fuller sound/"stereo" effect? I wouldn't think the impedance would change.
Sunn Concert Bass w/ 215B
Acoustic 271
Early '70s V4
'79 Kramer DMZ 4001
'89 Les Paul Studio

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 10:34:19 pm »
Cool. I understand using one output @4ohm to the Marshall cab.

As siamesetwins said, to run two cabinets from the same head.
Isaac

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 10:47:20 am »
As siamesetwins said, to run two cabinets from the same head.

Hey,  some Siamese twins really do that don't they?  Metaphorically speaking I mean.
(sorry.  I couldn't resist that).

Offline siamesetwins

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 10:36:42 am »
hi-yo!
Sunn Concert Bass w/ 215B
Acoustic 271
Early '70s V4
'79 Kramer DMZ 4001
'89 Les Paul Studio