Author Topic: Re:Sunn Beta Lead 212 series**What year is mine?  (Read 3776 times)

Offline Sean from Wa.state

Re:Sunn Beta Lead 212 series**What year is mine?
« on: November 02, 1999, 08:24:00 pm »
Hello, I just recently acquired a Beta Lead 212 amp and was wondering what year these were introduced and the year they quit making this series.Is there a way a serial # perhaps that I can tell?  Thanks ! and a very interesting site I  have to say:)

Offline Don T.

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 1999, 10:24:00 am »

: Hello,
The Alpha and Beta Series amps were started in 1979 as the Concert series were being discontinued. They were continued for 3 years or so (I think) and were replaced by Stagemaster and Stinger models. As far as I know all serial number records were (or are) at Fender. The only information I can get is monthly production forcasts and actual sales numbers during that period. How do you like the sound?

Don Thompson

Don T.

If it's too loud, you're too old.

Offline Sean from Wa.state

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 1999, 11:42:00 am »
Thanks Don
   Its great to find a site on here that you can ask questions like that.Actually I have always played through tube amps like Mesa Boogies.But I was blown away by the power that this amp produces.I think the quality of the cabinets have come along ways since then.The speakers in this amp are a little week but for 20 years old I cant complain.Do you know what these amps sold for when they were new?
Thanks again, Sean~

Offline Don T.

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 1999, 04:36:00 pm »

:
:Sean:
I hadn't thought about price sheets. I'll ask my freind if he has those too. Say - if you don't want those speakers I'll buy them. Thats provided they are the original pn# 81-0126 speakers. Yes those amps had tons-o-power I just never cared for the fuzzy distortion but I guess thats real popular now in the alternative genre.

Don

Don T.

If it's too loud, you're too old.

Offline Tom

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 1999, 09:52:00 pm »
: Thanks Don
:     Its great to find a site on here that you can ask questions like that.Actually I have always played through tube amps like Mesa Boogies.But I was blown away by the power that this amp produces.I think the quality of the cabinets have come along ways since then.The speakers in this amp are a little week but for 20 years old I cant complain.Do you know what these amps sold for when they were new?
: Thanks again, Sean~

I paid $549 for mine brand new from Manny's in '79.

Offline Tom

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 1999, 10:14:00 pm »
:
: :
: :Sean:
:  I hadn't thought about price sheets. I'll ask my freind if he has those too. Say - if you don't want those speakers I'll buy them. Thats provided they are the original pn# 81-0126 speakers. Yes those amps had tons-o-power I just never cared for the fuzzy distortion but I guess thats real popular now in the alternative genre.

:                  Don

Yes I admit the drive on the beta is not the best in the world (it sounds great clean)... I bought mine in '79 for smaller venues... but at the time it seemed to be the most powerful combo I've ever came across. It clearly was louder than my twin and even rivaled my marshall heads... It got to the point where I used it to drive my two 4x12's (8ohm cabs) as a power amp instead of my two 100watt marshall heads... which I used as preamps for the overdrive and presence. 15 years ago I stopped giging and it has been the only amp I kept.

Offline Tom

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 1999, 10:20:00 pm »
: Hello, I just recently acquired a Beta Lead 212 amp and was wondering what year these were introduced and the year they quit making this series.Is there a way a serial # perhaps that I can tell?  Thanks ! and a very interesting site I  have to say:)

Bought mine in Jan '79 serial # A 43523

Offline v

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2000, 07:13:00 pm »
i owned the 4X10 model, but i'll agree, one of the most powerful 100w heads i've run across...........
thnx
v
: Thanks Don
:     Its great to find a site on here that you can ask questions like that.Actually I have always played through tube amps like Mesa Boogies.But I was blown away by the power that this amp produces.I think the quality of the cabinets have come along ways since then.The speakers in this amp are a little week but for 20 years old I cant complain.Do you know what these amps sold for when they were new?
: Thanks again, Sean~