Author Topic: Original Model T help!  (Read 7565 times)

Offline sunnOshine

Original Model T help!
« on: January 07, 2011, 05:59:43 pm »
So I had just gotten my Model T back from the shop, it had a capacitor that went out causing one of my power tubes to not even be running. Anyway, i was really excited to use it and our band was headlining a show, so I decided to use it. Then I get a call asking if the other 3 bands could use my amp as a bass amp. I said okay, but not happy about it all.

Well, I get to the show an hour before we play, and I find that my amp has been plugged into a line out, not a single out to the speaker cab, and the thing was running a 2 ohm load. Wow. genius. I corrected all the errors, and used the amp for our set. Worked just fine.

The next morning I get it out of its road case to find that the screen looks to have been pushed out, potentially due to being dropped. I also found that when I took the thing off standby, the amp went ZZZZZZZTTTTTT and one of the power tubes went purple so i freaked and turned it off. WTF do I do now? I mean, I am already taking it back to the shop, but what in the world could be wrong with it? Another blown capacitor? A loose power tube? Damage from being dropped? Any ideas? Please?

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 08:30:13 am by EdBass »

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
Re: Original Model T help!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 06:25:04 pm »
pretty much every thing you just said i still let people use my gear but only recording studios that pay to use it and sign a contract stating that i must receive my gear back in same or better condition or they pay to fix and or replace it.

works pretty good if i was you i would be asking questions see who did this and make them pay for it.
1975 Sunn model T
2007Crate Blue voodoo BV 120(mercury magnetics upgraded)
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Creepy fingers harakiri superfuzz
Creepy fingers doomidrive
Earthbound Audio supercollider
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 08:05:58 am »
   Hi there,let's hope the output transformer isn't damaged.Take it to a competent tech and tell him what happened,he'll know what to look for. As far as "loaning" my gear to the opening act(s),I just don't do it anymore,every time I tried to help someone out I got f....d around,so now I just don't care,if they don't have a bass rig,too bad,they don't get to use mine.Any how,hope your amp isn't an expensive repair,good luck,Mel.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 08:45:10 am »
Hi there,let's hope the output transformer isn't damaged.Take it to a competent tech and tell him what happened,he'll know what to look for. As far as "loaning" my gear to the opening act(s),I just don't do it anymore,every time I tried to help someone out I got f....d around,so now I just don't care,if they don't have a bass rig,too bad,they don't get to use mine.Any how,hope your amp isn't an expensive repair,good luck,Mel.

This ^

Then I get a call asking if the other 3 bands could use my amp as a bass amp. I said okay, but not happy about it all.

That sucks. You try to be a nice guy and get hosed for your efforts. I don't imagine any of the "no bass amp" band members would man up and take responsibility; who called? Whoever that was, I'd be on them like a duck on a June bug looking for compensation.

Offline sunnOshine

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 10:50:49 am »
Thank you guys, no good deed goes unpunished right? I have def got in touch with him since then, and have pretty much told him that I expect compensation if the damages are too serious. Lets keep our fingers cross, cuz this thing was seriously in amazing condition up until that moment. I'll know today what the deal is

Offline biltmore

• The Sound Choice
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 11:22:34 am »
Hopefully your OT isn't dead.

Offline foxfire

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 04:40:32 pm »
if the purple that you saw in the tube was blueish then i wouldn't worry about that too much as lots of tubes will have a a blue/purple glow when the are running. as for the sound(s) you heard, i haven't a clue.

Offline sunnOshine

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 08:36:17 pm »
no, it was a more white violet color, i'm not that silly :)

I took it in, and the guy said that it was because something or another was "arching" inside the power tubes, and basically, i have to get new GE 6550's. Shit. There goes 500 bucks....

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 01:32:16 am »
no, it was a more white violet color, i'm not that silly :)

I took it in, and the guy said that it was because something or another was "arching" inside the power tubes, and basically, i have to get new GE 6550's. Shit. There goes 500 bucks....

I'd give JJ KT88's a whirl before you drop a nickle on NOS 6550's.
https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=3&sub_category_id=23

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 02:27:11 am »
ive used the new tung sol 6550's and i have to say there spot on with nos versions and half the cost
1975 Sunn model T
2007Crate Blue voodoo BV 120(mercury magnetics upgraded)
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Creepy fingers harakiri superfuzz
Creepy fingers doomidrive
Earthbound Audio supercollider
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 07:27:42 pm »
DUDE.  I had a similar experience. MY old guitarist plugged my Solarus in but didn't run a cable to the cabinet. He flips it on, and once I realise what's happening, I freak out. Go to play it, and the levels are way low. Long story short, it was only a burnt-out pre-amp tube. $40, some new grey and white hairs, and I'm good.

I'm so cautious of people using my gear now, though. If I do, I make sure that I'm the only one handling it, save for tweaking volume and tone. It also means other bands have to help you load out. :)

As far as tubes go, my usual guy put a quad of Svetlana 6550s in my T, and they sound fantastic for what they are. However, if the person compensating is willing to pay it, go for the GE's!
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline sunnOshine

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 12:22:33 pm »
i'm going for the GE's, I found a matched quad for $449, not the JAN ones either. I DID want to try the JJ's and the Winged C's but honestly, I can get them to pay for at least half of the damage (after doing a lot of detective work we discovered that the person responsible works for the club, meaning that the club is responsible for the costs, as far as i'm concerned)

anyway, I will NEVER let anyone use my stuff again. ever.

Offline sunnOshine

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 12:14:06 pm »
one more question for everyone, this is important because this will determine whether or not i get any money from this whole ordeal

is it bad for an amplifier, particularly a model T (bad can mean many things i know, so whatever it means to you, go with that) if the amp is running a 2 ohm load for 5 hours running only a line out and not plugged into a speaker cabinet? as in, how does this work in terms of current and stuff like that?

Offline sunn-tanned

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 12:35:28 pm »
Yes...........Big Time :cry:

This type amp connected to any speaker with a lower ohm than output setting can severly damage the optx.

Also no speaker connected while signal is amplified can also severly damage the optx.

However I'm a bit confused, how does it have a 2 ohm load but not plugged in to a speaker cab?