Author Topic: Beta Lead Output Question - Anyone in the Know is  (Read 3357 times)

Offline Jim

Beta Lead Output Question - Anyone in the Know is
« on: September 08, 1999, 06:45:00 am »
If the amp has two speaker outs and they (together) say " 4 ohms  100 Watts max."  What exactly does that mean?  
Is the Beta Lead actually a 50 watt RMS amp or what?  Can I use a 2 ohm cabinet load under any circumstances?  Or should I wire my (4) 8 ohm speakers as a total 8 ohm load.  Just what is the labeling telling me?

HEP ME RHONDA! HEP ME GET IT (the wattage) OUTTA MY HEAD!

Sarge

Offline Conrad Sundholm

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 1999, 11:25:00 pm »
Sarge:
If the Beta lead is solid state (this amp was after my time at Sunn) then the amp is about 60 watts into 8 ohms and 100 watts into 4 ohms.  If your main speaker is 8 0hms and your "extension" speaker on the spare jack on the rear panel is plugged into 8 ohms then the resultant impedance is 4 ohms and each speaker will see 50 watts of power.  This is a 4 ohm maximum head.  Do not run 2 ohms (2 X 4 ohm speakers).  Your amp will overheat.

Conrad Sundholm

: If the amp has two speaker outs and they (together) say " 4 ohms  100 Watts max."  What exactly does that mean?  
: Is the Beta Lead actually a 50 watt RMS amp or what?  Can I use a 2 ohm cabinet load under any circumstances?  Or should I wire my (4) 8 ohm speakers as a total 8 ohm load.  Just what is the labeling telling me?

: HEP ME RHONDA! HEP ME GET IT (the wattage) OUTTA MY HEAD!

: Sarge

Offline Don T.

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 1999, 03:05:00 am »

: If the amp has two speaker outs and they (together) say " 4 ohms  100 Watts max."  What exactly does that mean?  
: Is the Beta Lead actually a 50 watt RMS amp or what?  Can I use a 2 ohm cabinet load under any circumstances?  Or should I wire my (4) 8 ohm speakers as a total 8 ohm load.  Just what is the labeling telling me?

: HEP ME RHONDA! HEP ME GET IT (the wattage) OUTTA MY HEAD!

: Sarge

Hello Sarge,
As I recall the Sunn Beta Lead used a 20-0166 power amp which gave 100watts into 4ohms. the extension jack when pluged into series the two speakers so the amp would be protected. To verify this plug a speaker cord (or 1/4" unwired plug) into the extension jack. If the built in speakers quit then it's wired series. If they still work then it's parellel.

Don T.

If it's too loud, you're too old.

Offline Tom

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 1999, 07:20:00 pm »

The manual states that Beta models 410, 212, 115, each have a four ohm speaker load. The amplifiers are factory wired to the internal speakers so that when external speakers are utilized, the interanl speaker plug must be removed. This enables your Beta to operate with no less than a total four ohm load (i.e. one four ohm cabinet or two eight ohm cabinets, or some combination of not less than four ohm).

Offline Dave

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2000, 06:56:00 pm »
answer::if it has two speker out puts and it says together 100 watts at 4 ohms max that means,with 4 ohm speakers its 50 watts to each channel and thats all it will deliver,now with 8 ohm speakers it will only deliver 25 watts per channel. In my latest speakers ive built were for my brothers car and i used house speakers(8 ohms) in a car (4 ohms)so i built one box and put four ten inch speakers in it.which showed to be a little to much so i figured i would put a divider in the box. so it worked and it sounds pretty damn good. now i have to get an amp to push the 4 tens with .they hold about 50 watts a peace at 8 ohms which is 100 watts a peace at 4 ohms. so now im going to have to buy a 400 watt amp which is going to cost me. now if i had used 4 ohm speakers then i would have only had to buy a 200 watt amp.  
now if you could email me some time then maybe you could help me with some of my questions thanks,                david