Author Topic: Sunn 1960s "Folded Horn" Cab Specs???  (Read 4225 times)

Offline Karl

Sunn 1960s "Folded Horn" Cab Specs???
« on: September 05, 1999, 01:27:00 pm »
Does anyone know where I can find plans for the '60s Sunn "folded Horn" cabinets used on the original 200s 2x15" bottom and the 1x15: Sonic I cabinet. The original models contained JBL D140 or D130 speakers. The cabinet design worked particularly well with these speakers. (Note: I'm not looking for anything on the later Sunn "horn" type PA boxes.)

Offline Conrad Sundholm

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 1999, 12:40:00 am »
This design came to me in the twilight of my sleep. I don not have any drawings of the cabinet, but I do have a memory of its construction.  The cabinet's external dimensions are 24" wide, 36" tall and 15" deep.  A 1/2" plywood liner was placed on the inside front edge of the cabinet to make it look "beefy".  The port in the 2 X 15" cabinet was 5" high and ran the entire width of the cabinet.  The horn baffle was formed out of two pieces of 1/2" plywood.  The horizontal piece being about 3 to 3-1/2" in depth and the 45 degree angle piece being 9" long.  On the dual 15" cabinet there were two baffle assemblie.  The 1/2" plywood horn baffle pieces were glued into routed grooves in the sides of the cabinet.  The single 15" was simply 1/2 of the dual 15" cabinet with the port at the bottom of the cabinet with a single horn baffle assembly.  I could sketch it for you but no draw capabilities on this e-mail response mechanism.  I would be more than happy to send you a sketch.

Conrad Sundholm

: Does anyone know where I can find plans for the '60s Sunn "folded Horn" cabinets used on the original 200s 2x15" bottom and the 1x15: Sonic I cabinet. The original models contained JBL D140 or D130 speakers. The cabinet design worked particularly well with these speakers. (Note: I'm not looking for anything on the later Sunn "horn" type PA boxes.)

Offline Rich Briere

• http://www.richbriere.com
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 1999, 03:14:00 pm »
: This design came to me in the twilight of my sleep.

If the design for the world's coolest bass cabinet came to you in your sleep, I'd ask that you do me a favor tonight Conrad. Think about winning Lotto numbers as you drift off to dreamland and call me in the morning!
Bass-ically Yours,
Rich Briere

MTD and Sunn...........life gets NO better than that.

Offline Karl

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 1999, 04:43:00 pm »
Conrad,
First, it's a pleasure to hear directly from the designer on this issue. I've always felt that your somewhat unorthodox internal styling had a lot to do with the great sound of the cabinet.
Your literature from the period lists the dimensions of the Sonic I as 24" x 24" x 15", and the 200s as 42" x 24" x 15".
Considering how popular the 200s cabinets were, it's amazing to me that there are almost NONE of them in the used equipment market, and nobody makes a similar model. You find the heads listed on eBay every so often, but NO CABINETS! Seems like there might be a market here.
I have two JBL D130s that I'd like to find or build single 15" enclosures with similar specs to your old cabinets. If you could send a sketch, that would be great. I'd like to get the volumes as close as possible to the originals.
Any other suggestions you have for multi-purpose single 15" (D130) cabs for guitar, keyboard and voice would be most appreciated.
Thanks for responding.
Karl

Offline Tom Loizeaux

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 1999, 08:42:00 pm »
I have Sunn 2-15 cabinets with the "horn", (I call it a angled port) running accross the center. This is like stacking two 1-15 (Sonic) cabinets together with the ports against eachother. Later Sunn ran the port the length of the cabinet up one side.
The 1-15 (Sonic) single 15 cabinet is my favorite! They made them in mirrored versions so the speakers could be placed close to eachother and you could have the wheels and handles on the same sides. These are very portable cabinets and sound great with EVMs in them.
This design excells even in the little things like wheels on the SIDE, so you can firmly place the cabinets on the floor and stack them safley, dual recessed input jacks, removeable grills and front-mounted speakers, and tuned bass response.
   Congratulations to Conrad for great bass cabinet designs.

Tom