Author Topic: Why are there gargoyles on my cabinet? And MORE!  (Read 4869 times)

Offline Krabsworth

Why are there gargoyles on my cabinet? And MORE!
« on: March 29, 2011, 11:14:38 am »
I just got a Sunn Spectrum I head with an over-sized cabinet (1x15) yesterday. Two questions:

1. Near the top of the cabinet, right under the Sunn logo but on both sides, is gargoyle looking design under the grill cloth. Is this common? Or even how Sunn built it?

2. More importantly, my head seems to distort ridiculously quick (at like 4 on the volume) and isn't as loud as I've heard it is supposed to be... What is the problem and solution? Don't get me wrong, the fuzziness is pretty cool but I think I'd rather have the ridiculous headroom.

Thanks guys.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Why are there gargoyles on my cabinet? And MORE!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 10:01:58 pm »
I've never seen gargoyles on any of my cabinets, but I have heard of other unique anomalies inside Sunn gear.
Your problem could be a lot of things, even including no problem at all. The first thing I would look at is the filter caps, though.

Offline Krabsworth

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 07:59:30 am »
I guess I should be more specific. There is a real heavy amount of crackling, almost like cutting out but not quite. The volume change from 5 to 10 is negligible. It pretty much sounds like fuzz pedal is on at three, and there is only a clean tone between 2 and 3...I guess I'm hoping this is a problem because I want a little more out of the amp.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 08:16:22 am »
Sounds like it needs a good "go over" by a tech. If the "crackling" is when you turn it up it could be something as simple as dirty pots, but the no increase in volume in the last half of the volume pot's range doesn't seem normal. Again I would check filter caps right off the bat.

BUT.... It's virtually impossible to completely diagnose a sick amp via internet, and there are things inside that amp that can really hurt you physically.  You should just take it to a good local tech rather than try to get advice from the web, and by no means should you start poking around in there yourself; even unplugged that amp can store lethal voltage.

Offline LPB

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 08:42:52 am »
 Yes, do be careful.

Also, can you post a picture of these "gargoyles"?

Offline Krabsworth

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 11:27:30 am »
I'll definitely take it to the tech, and get pictures of the gargoyles up later.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 09:36:05 pm »
FWIW, having little volume change from 5- 10 is pretty much normal. Sunn used linear taper pots, so most of the change is between 0 and 2 or 3.
Isaac

Offline Krabsworth

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 07:55:28 am »
But is the heavy fuzz normal? It sounds like a big muff is on it almost immediately, and the loudness is no way 40 watts tube...

Offline Krabsworth

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 06:05:26 pm »
So I took a pic finally...

I think they're pretty sweet.

I put the head through my friends cabinet and it seems like the volume and fuzz problems went away...I think it is safe to assume the speaker is blown? It is the original Sunn one so its a bummer...

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 10:08:59 pm »
But is the heavy fuzz normal? It sounds like a big muff is on it almost immediately, and the loudness is no way 40 watts tube...

No, that does not sound normal.
Isaac

Offline buzzsunn

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 02:45:26 am »
So I took a pic finally...
I think they're pretty sweet.

I put the head through my friends cabinet and it seems like the volume and fuzz problems went away...I think it is safe to assume the speaker is blown? It is the original Sunn one so its a bummer...
This looks like the Thundercats Castle! :-D

check and contribute: http://postyourrig.blogspot.com/

Offline warandhairstyle

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 09:06:38 am »
i was initially skeptical.  but yep, those are gargoyles...
When life gives you lemons, buy amplifiers.

Offline Rex B

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 11:11:09 am »
I love the gargoyles. I'm guessing somebody added these at some point, probably their band logo or something. The grill cloth looks like it's been replaced...Sunn would have (should have) gotten the weave straighter, and it looks like there is some slack at the edges. No prob, still cool.  From your description of the sound, it's possible the coil wire may have come partially loose from the coil form, but is still conducting. It's kind of a fuzzy metallic rattle. Unfortunately, no easy fix that I know of.  Recone or replacement. BEFORE you do that though, take the speaker out and make sure the dust cap hasn't just come loose. From the picture, it looks like it's an aluminum cap. Yep, sound awful if they come loose. If so, just carefully glue it back down, I recommend a very thin bead of epoxy. DON'T allow the glue to run down into the gap...speaker death.  Good luck !
Engineer Sunn 1977-1983, Fender 1984-1990
Model T Red Knob
200S Cabinet JBL D140Fs
Sunn SB 300 (Proto Coliseum 300)