Author Topic: Rehearsal today. 200S time!  (Read 8151 times)

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Rehearsal today. 200S time!
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 11:25:24 pm »
The cabinet makes a difference, too. If it's tuned too high, then the excursion can be too much below the tuning frequency. I think that may be the issue. Next time, I'll try turning the BASS BOOST switch off. That'll probably do the trick, but, of course, it cuts the low end.
Isaac

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 03:01:37 am »
Oh how I would like a B15 with a JBL in it! Maybe some day.....

Greg

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 07:22:18 am »
Oh how I would like a B15 with a JBL in it! Maybe some day.....

Greg

It's a K140 though, not a D130;

Here's the same amp with one of it's friends from Portland with a D140F, kinda like a "Sunn Portaflex";

The split chassis is an EL34 amp and pretty much lives in my office, the flip top rolls around the house and goes out for an occasional practice or coffee house gig.

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2012, 09:41:57 pm »
Nice looking stuff Ed!

The D130 was an original option with the B15N when it was new, but I'm sure for bass the D or K140 would sound better. I happen to have a nice D130 here to try out when I get a B15N.....as I said...someday!

Greg

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2012, 09:20:55 am »
If I had a D130 I would probably use that in my B15, or maybe an Altec 421A. My B15 had a factory CTS square magnet in it originally, and honestly that sounded pretty darn good too.

I think the amp just sounds good regardless of what driver you use, huge soundstage and solid fundamentals. It's no accident you see B15s so often in top notch recording studios...

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2012, 10:53:48 pm »
I've heard those CTS's are really nice speakers too.

Yah the B15 is what it is because they are so good. Everyone I know likes them. Someday I will get one!

Greg

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 08:30:45 am »
I've heard those CTS's are really nice speakers too.

Yah the B15 is what it is because they are so good. Everyone I know likes them. Someday I will get one!

Greg

Those square magnet CTS and to a lesser extent the similar Eminence drivers were used in pretty much anything that used a 15" woofer in the 60's and early 70's.
IMO they do sound pretty good, but with those stamped baskets and industrial looking magnets they scream "cheapo" when you look at them. Unlike the same era JBLs, which look like nice sounding, high end speakers.

BTW, my annual Wright-Patterson trip is coming up later this month...

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 03:07:35 pm »
I used to have a couple of those square magnet CTS speakers, and they did sound good, but yah they do look cheaper than a JBL.

I wish I could go with you the Wright-Patterson again! I wonder what they have changed since last year? Someday I'll get there again with a little more time to spend.

Greg

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2012, 09:17:08 am »
I used to have a couple of those square magnet CTS speakers, and they did sound good, but yah they do look cheaper than a JBL.

I wish I could go with you the Wright-Patterson again! I wonder what they have changed since last year? Someday I'll get there again with a little more time to spend.

Greg

I've accumulated a little stockpile of those old square magnet drivers, just more stuff that my wife will have to sell after I'm gone.
They have probably changed nothing since we were there. I don't care, it's still a great way to "get away" for a day!

OK, we should probably stop this "derail" of Isaac's thread. I should know better...

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2012, 11:51:18 am »
No objection on my part. Anything that keeps this place active is a good thing, IMO.

So, Wright-Patterson. The Air Force base? They give tours, or allow tourists? What's up with that?
Isaac

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 12:40:30 pm »
It's the home of the United States Air Force Museum. A sort of Mecca for military aircraft geeks (such as Greg and myself).
I go at least once a year since it's only about 50 miles from where I live, and last summer Greg diverted south on a trip from DC to Oregon to visit the museum and we had a full day there.
Great fun and great company, but to "do" the museum fully it takes longer than a single day.
I take my 8 year old nephew every June, we hit the flight simulators, climb into the cockpit displays, bomber displays, hit the Omnimax and call it a day after 3-4 hrs.

Greg and I could of spent 8 hours just in WWII!

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 01:39:58 pm »
I need to get up to the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum and Wings and Waves Waterpark in McMinnville.

http://www.evergreenmuseum.org/
Isaac

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 07:05:41 am »
I saw the Spruce Goose in Long Beach a couple of times; like the Giant Redwoods pictures don't do her justice. In person she's a pretty impressive sight!

The USAF Museum is on an active Air Force base, so often you get to see interesting aircraft taking off and landing when you are outside.
Also they have a display of most retired Air Force One aircraft (including the one that took JFK to Dallas alive and brought him back in a casket), and for some reason it's on a fairly high security area of the base (not far from Hangar 18 for all of you Roswell believers) requiring a security check to visit.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

Overall it's a great place for aircraft geeks, regretfully it's in Dayton Oh so it's pretty much the only thing of note in that part of the country.

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2012, 01:11:20 am »
It's the home of the United States Air Force Museum. A sort of Mecca for military aircraft geeks (such as Greg and myself).
I go at least once a year since it's only about 50 miles from where I live, and last summer Greg diverted south on a trip from DC to Oregon to visit the museum and we had a full day there.
Great fun and great company, but to "do" the museum fully it takes longer than a single day.
I take my 8 year old nephew every June, we hit the flight simulators, climb into the cockpit displays, bomber displays, hit the Omnimax and call it a day after 3-4 hrs.

Greg and I could of spent 8 hours just in WWII!

Heck ya! I could have spent a week checking out that museum....the WW2 area is my favorite of course, and that B36 is just massive!! I wish they would let people see inside that one! :)

Greg