Author Topic: Head questions  (Read 2224 times)

Offline sunnofagun

Head questions
« on: September 28, 2001, 10:46:00 pm »
A few questions for someone who knows more than me...

I own a 70's-era Coliseum Bass head.  It's about 30 inches long.  For years, I've played it through a custom-built 2x15 cabinet, and when I sat it on top, it hung over the edges about 6 inches on each side.

1. What Sunn cabinet was this amp head meant to be paired with?
2. With the original pair, how was the amp supposed to be stacked?  Did Sunn make a cabinet that was 30 inches wide?  Or were you supposed to set the cabinet on its side and set the head on top?

Other questions...
3. My amp clearly says "Coliseum Bass" on the front.  But it looks different (wider) than all the vintage photos of coliseum bass amps I've been able to find.  In fact, as far as I can tell, it looks most like the Coliseum 880, with the obvious exception that it doesn't say "880" on the front.  What do I have, and what was the 880?

Thanks in advance for your help.  I love my bass amp dearly, and wouldn't trade it for anything else I've played through (and I've worked in a number of studios).  I just enjoy finding out the history behind my vintage gear.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Head questions
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2001, 10:24:00 am »
IIRC, the Coliseum Bass was generally sold with the 118BH, the folded horn loaded with one 18" speaker. Two, stacked, was the standard configuration. It was 26 or 28" wide, and, yes, the amp stuck out a little.

Some people turned them on their sides. I don't remember how wide they were in that configuration, but they were at least as wide as the amp. 32", I think.
Isaac