Author Topic: Shipping Large Cab  (Read 2940 times)

Offline Fred Cook

Shipping Large Cab
« on: September 30, 2001, 02:49:00 pm »
Thanks to one of our esteemed members, I have acquired a lovely Sunn 4x12. Problem --  It is in California and I need it in Florida. UPS says too big/heavy.

Anyone have any good experience shipping a large cab and not converting it to scrap lumber?

FBC  :???:
Savor the Sawgrass!
DiploStrat

Offline Don T

Shipping Large Cab
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2001, 04:17:00 pm »
Hello:
 You will have to package it well utilizing etha foam corners or panels (styro foam will desintigrate with heavy loads, maybe double box it or crate it on a pallet, and ship it ground (Yellow Truck Lines ect). Not cheap however Some of those shipping places (Pax Mail) will package and ship for you.
Don T.
It's the ear not the gear.

Offline Fred Cook

Shipping Large Cab
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2001, 12:16:00 pm »
The moral of the story is to only fall in love with small amps!

Tanx!
Savor the Sawgrass!
DiploStrat

Anonymous

Shipping Large Cab
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2001, 01:31:00 am »
As a sidenote, I had a my Sunn 4x12 shipped from NY to OR via UPS.  I paid a *lot* of money to have it "professionally" packed by a chain shipper/packing place.  When I got it, I found that it had virtually no padding at all!!  They'd cut down two boxes to essentially fit the 4x12's shape and stuck them together with some tape.  There was one thin sheet of bubble wrap covering part of the grille and that was it!!  I was astonished.  The box looked like it had been run over with a truck.  Nevertheless, the 4x12 was in pristine condition -- cosmetically and functionally.  (old) Sunn equipment is truly durable and kick ass.  The Model T head that came with it was shipped very loose in another box with foam peanuts.  The box was beaten to hell as well but the good old T fired up right away with no problems.  My advice -- if you have your stuff "pro" packed, you might want to check the job you pay for before they ship!  I was pissed and feel ashamed to have spent so much money, but I have my "sunns" and that's really all that is important!

Take it easy!

Offline Fred Cook

Shipping Large Cab
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2001, 01:28:00 pm »
Sadly, I have to concur with your evaluation of "pro" pack and ship companies - most are terrible.

As a long time Foreign Service Officer (with kids in the States) I KNOW packing. Maybe I should retire and pack things for people!

FBC
Savor the Sawgrass!
DiploStrat

Offline Rocketboy

Shipping Large Cab
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2001, 09:13:00 pm »
I concur.  Box it yourself if you're on the shipping end.  I have had luck sending a $20 tip to the shipper with the explicit understanding the unit was to be "bullet-proof" boxed.  Yellow Freight is about the best I have found for nationwide shipping.  Still, you need to ride them just a little.  Rocketboy
Heads up, everybody!