Author Topic: sunn beta 402 cab questions!  (Read 5189 times)

Offline vegedge

sunn beta 402 cab questions!
« on: March 11, 2013, 04:49:59 pm »
so i bought a beta 402 cab for 40 bucks!. 3 speakers seem to be original. though the names are removed from the back, they have some glue and marks on the rims that match the tolex. so i think they were installed with the original tolex.

what speakers were put in stock? i wanna replace them with something i could use for bass, maybe eminence betas? use it with my 200s :)
 this is the 100 watt version, not the later 200 watt.
also i need to make a new grill, so does anyone know the dimensions of the grill, or how i could go about making a new one?
i'm new to this stuff, so any help would be great. thanks!

Offline vegedge

Re: sunn beta 402 cab questions!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 02:01:49 pm »
its so weird, out of any other sunn cab, the 402 is virtually absent from the internet or anyones memory.. only a few pics and forums around of people asking about it... pretty frustrating

Offline loudthud

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 03:39:08 pm »
The stock speaker was the 81-0236. The only other amp that used that speaker was the Alpha 212R. It was 16 ohms and you can assume it would handle 25 Watts.

Look into this: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=299-408

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 04:55:42 pm »
its so weird, out of any other sunn cab, the 402 is virtually absent from the internet or anyones memory.. only a few pics and forums around of people asking about it... pretty frustrating
Not so weird, IMO. People expect 4x12"s to be 30" square. The Sceptre never really caught on with its 24" x 42" cabinet, and the Beta 402 didn't, either, at 25" x 33".
Isaac

Offline vegedge

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 04:36:05 pm »
i still need help on this.. my bass vibrates like crazy when i play through this cab, is that just the 2 remaining stock speakers(the other 2 i replaced with eminence delta bass 12'') or is the can just unsuitable for bass guitar at higher levels.

really bums me out i got this so cheap.

also if anyone has one i need to know how i can make a new grill. i am unskilled in wood working but i figured it may not be hard to get plywood and cut a hole and attach grill cloth. can anyone lend me any pointers.

please help sunn friends.