Author Topic: Help! Beta died:  (Read 3183 times)

Offline Tom

Help! Beta died:
« on: May 25, 2001, 11:48:00 am »
Beta combo just flat out died.  No smoke, no smell, just no sound.  Lights up.  Speakers check out fine.  Any ideas?  Never had the thing cranked up, never abused, never turned on without speakers connected.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Tom

Offline Don T.

Help! Beta died:
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2001, 02:38:00 pm »
Hello:
 Turn on the amp. Patch from preamp out to a known good amp and speaker (your stereo will work). Play through the amp and see if the pre-amp section works. OR - Patch a known good source (cd player etc.) into the power amp in. Does the amp go "pop" when you turn it on? If neither section works then the main fuses in the power amp section have blown. Do the LED's light up as well as the switch?
Don T.
Don T.

If it's too loud, you're too old.

beta amp problem
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2003, 06:22:51 am »
Quote from: Don T.
Hello:
 Turn on the amp. Patch from preamp out to a known good amp and speaker (your stereo will work). Play through the amp and see if the pre-amp section works. OR - Patch a known good source (cd player etc.) into the power amp in. Does the amp go "pop" when you turn it on? If neither section works then the main fuses in the power amp section have blown. Do the LED's light up as well as the switch?
Don T.

My son has a beta bass with this problem. It played fine in the morning, he came home after school and nothing. We tried your suggestions. Neither section works, no pop when you turn it. We found three fuses total and they are all good. Are there more? The switch and led's all light up.

Offline Don T.

Help! Beta died:
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2003, 08:54:48 am »
Hello;
 Something does not add up. If both leds on the channels (red & green) light up then the power supply has both + - volts. The power amp section should go "pop" when it comes on. I could see some sort of signal problem but that would not keep the amp from "popping." if the amp has transistors out it usually blows an internal fuse which would extinguish one of the leds on the front panel. More diagnosis is needed. Try patching from section to sewction on the rear panel to see if jacks have opens or if some part of the amp lives. Use a signal source too (cd player) to insert signal into the "return" jacks to check for life.
Don T.
Don T.

If it's too loud, you're too old.

Anonymous

Help! Beta died:
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2003, 09:43:42 pm »
Don, we tried your suggestions. when patching from pre amp out to another amp, it did not play but made a pop sound through the extended amp when turning the beta on and off. also when I patched my cd player to the pre amp in, the amp does not pop. visual inspection of the amp and pre amp show no signs of anything wrong.  thanks,

Bob

BOB E

Help! Beta died:
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2003, 07:28:52 pm »
HI, I TOOK MY SON'S BETA AMP TO A FRIEND AND HE DISCOVERED THAT THE TIP 29 WAS BAD? IT IS A TO220. EXCUSE MY ELECTRONIC ILITERACY. COST UNDER $2 FOR PARTS AND SOME ADULT BEVERAGES. HOPE THIS HELPS ANYONE OUT THERE WITH SIMILAR PROBLEMS. SUNN AMPS ROCK!!!

BOB E.