Author Topic: looking to buy model t  (Read 5641 times)

Offline matto)))

looking to buy model t
« on: May 29, 2010, 12:36:37 pm »
i know it's almost taboo to post this, but figured it'd be worth a shot if anyone's selling.  willing to pay what it's worth, be it first or second gen

Offline mike_sims

Re: looking to buy model t
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 05:09:01 pm »
I too am looking for a 1st gen. I have a 2nd gen now, they're pretty awesome, on a side note, have you heard about the 2nd gen mods?

anyone got 2 first gen new used model t's still!?  :-D
MAXIMUM VOLUME YIELDS MAXIMUM GOATS

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline matto)))

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 09:05:45 pm »
i know about the half-power switch that you can add but imnot too familiar with any other mods.  Share any you may know of?

on an unrelated note, i heard that the first gen blows the 2nd outta the water,  is this true or just people looking too much into it

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 09:30:16 pm »
I wouldn't worry about the half power mod, you're gonna want all the power, trust me. The 2nd gen's (with the mid switch) were fitted with a wire that goes from the master volume, it reduces the volume (master) once it's rolled past 8... Saying the 1st gen blows the 2nd gen outta the water is up to your opinion. Here's a recent discussion about it: http://sunn.ampage.org/sdp/index.php/topic,5270.0.html

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline matto)))

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 09:43:42 am »
with the 2nd gen mod, where does the wire on the master volume run from and how would you mod this so the volume wont break up?

Offline jdfarrell81

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 01:47:56 pm »
HI Matto))),

I definitely wouldn't say that 1st Gen "blows the 2nd Gen out of the water". They're different for sure, though. After reading everything on this board and a few other boards, like you, I was convinced that the 1st Gen was unquestionably superior, but I recently acquired both a 1st Gen and 2nd Gen, and it's like apples and oranges.

One isn't "better" than the other, but each one IS better at certain things than the other. It really depends on: 1) What sounds you're looking for, and; 2) What your ears tell you when you play both of them side by side.

The folks on this board are great sources of information, but don't take the hype too seriously. You might prefer a 2nd Gen. The 1st Gen is an amazing machine, but it's not the holy grail for everyone.

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 04:32:37 pm »
I agree with JD. There was so much hate spewing around for the 2nd gens and when I tried one, I actually liked it A LOT. They both have that throaty 'riff breathing' tone. So I decided I'd like to get a 1st gen as well to mix the tones, which I believe would sound AWESOME (c'mon Ed, super duper?)! Here's a couple videos I made of my second gen, the first one is without a pedal (plugged straight in), the 2nd is with a Big Muff (I think I used..)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI25pLvPW1U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU0a7jQGKCs
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 09:53:49 pm by mike_sims »

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline jdfarrell81

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 04:38:20 pm »
Whoa, those are your vids? No shit! Those vids convinced me to give the 2nd Gen a shot, and I love it. Cheers for that, mate! Really helpful.

Offline matto)))

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 06:43:20 pm »
haha thats real wierd cause i was watching the model t video a few days ago and was real impressed with the gain out of it,  by the way on thursday a model t 1st gen was up for 4 hours on ebay and was sold for 1200 b.i.n.  so pissed i didnt catch it

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 09:45:10 pm »
haha much thanks dudes. The 1st gen (from what I've heard) doesn't get as gritty as the second Gen unless driven to unearthly levels, but then again, people have told me even the 2nd gen's don't, that was the whole point of that video. Wino uses 1st gens I believe and in an interview told everyone that he just plugs straight in and uses the gain on the amp, so they probably do get a little bit fuzzy. I use the Svetlana 6550 tubes. It's all opinion though man..

Yeah I saw that MOdel T for BIN @ 1200, get this man, I saw a first gen up for $1500 buy it now for TEN MINUTES... CRAZY!! I was so mad that I wasn't at home to buy it, erg!!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 09:16:07 am by EdBass »

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs