Author Topic: sunn collisum super model t?  (Read 12710 times)

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
sunn collisum super model t?
« on: January 09, 2011, 02:01:34 pm »
http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-1970s-Sunn-Coliseum-Model-Super-T-Amp-Head-/310286518817?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483e848a21

just seen this and i have never seen a model t that says this and what dude is calling a diaod is the bias ajust for people wanting to buy this could cost some serious $$$$
1975 Sunn model T
2007Crate Blue voodoo BV 120(mercury magnetics upgraded)
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Creepy fingers harakiri superfuzz
Creepy fingers doomidrive
Earthbound Audio supercollider
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline pombagira

Re: sunn collisum super model t?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 02:59:09 pm »
yeah I saw this and it doesn't look right, yes there were coliseum model ts, I have seen them as proto types in sunn 2000s boxes. This looks like a second generation model t with the mid switch and lets face it the person who did the dodgy super could have done the coliseum on the back. I would have paid around 300 bucks for this. Why would this amp be called a super model t. It looks identical to any other model t. Inevtitably it will go for alot since it is open to bidders across the world.

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 03:13:36 pm »
Yeah definitely sketchy looking. Looks like the guts have definitely seen better days. Then again, we have seen guys with "Orange" and "Crate" Model T's, I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it. Knowing how heavy they are, that's not very far.
MAXIMUM VOLUME YIELDS MAXIMUM GOATS

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 03:54:53 pm »
  Hi there,I could be wrong but it looks like the 2 - 100 ohm resistors on the hum balance control are burned up,usually means a heater shorted to ground,or to the plate,(sometimes).Also the AC cable is missing,along with an output tube,it's probably blowing fuses if you power it up.Somebody's been in there changing caps and messing around.Good restorable project,but I wouldn't pay a whole lot for it,just my 2 cents,Mel.

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 07:10:44 pm »
It's likely somewhere along the way, someone gathered parts of Sunn amps and built a Franken-T.  The decals on the rear of the chassis look legit, though it's likely someone grabbed a badge from a later-era amp and slapped it on.  The chassis is in decent condition, but the guts seem to have been through a lot.

The 'super' decals are just plain weird, though. That being said, it still has 5 days and is already at 17 bids/$1000.  Should be interesting to see what it fetches.
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline biltmore

• The Sound Choice
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 07:56:33 pm »
I can't believe the price it's at. That's NUTS for a Model T that looks like it could use some good work.

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 08:31:55 pm »
yeah my max i would give for it would'nt be over $400
1975 Sunn model T
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline pombagira

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 02:35:17 am »
The reason for such a high price has to be due to the auction being open to worldwide bidders. It would cost alot I figure to get this back to how it should sound and without being able to test both the O/T and P/T could be totally screwed although these do tend to be fairly bullet proof. On Seattle craigslist there is a red knob which this one on ebay obviously is as well going for $1400 why wouldn't someone just buy that and save yourself the hassle.

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 04:08:43 am »
i think theres a few so called collectors and misinformed people who think this is a super rare model and that fixed they could sell it for double.

i'm still very iffy on this thing.
1975 Sunn model T
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 04:10:18 am »
i would really liek to get inside the thing see if there is anything different in there
1975 Sunn model T
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline jaywalker

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 07:06:23 am »
I have a schematic labeled Model T Super and dated  12/75. It appears to be the 2nd generation w/ mid switch. It's been a while since I've used it for reference but it seemed to match my red knobed beast that doesn't mention super or colliseum anywhere on it.

Offline HRobert

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 07:40:57 am »
I can't believe the price it's at. That's NUTS for a Model T that looks like it could use some good work.
Got a funny feeling that somebody gonna get stung with this one :oops: Looks like it's going to cost some $$$$$ to get it fixed.......on top of what ever it sells for.

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 08:14:48 am »
I have a schematic labeled Model T Super and dated  12/75. It appears to be the 2nd generation w/ mid switch. It's been a while since I've used it for reference but it seemed to match my red knobed beast that doesn't mention super or colliseum anywhere on it.

i got both model t schematics but as you said none of mine mention this model
1975 Sunn model T
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 11:47:17 am »
I'm well aware of the nickname "Super Model T" that was given to the 2nd gens, but if this was a prototype for the Model T in general (in a 2000s Box as mentioned before) wouldn't it most likely be a first gen? Unless of course it was a prototype for the 2nd gen.. But, this thing still doesn't sit right with me. I don't really see any significant differences on the thing.
MAXIMUM VOLUME YIELDS MAXIMUM GOATS

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs