Author Topic: Concert Bass and Cabinet X  (Read 15193 times)

Offline Jeff Troy

Re: Concert Bass and Cabinet X
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2011, 04:54:07 am »
Hey, Johnny,

Thanks for the post, but no pics are attached. Can you please resend?

Thanks and warmest...
759 New Holland Ave.
Lancaster PA 17602
C: 717-917-3670
www.bandmix.com/jefftroy
www.jefftroy.com (under construction)

Offline shibbz

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2011, 12:08:36 am »
The guy got back to me, the cab sold.  :cry:
At the time, I didn't know it was a rarity, I just figured I'd never seen one before, but if you guys haven't heard of them, there's probably just a few around.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2011, 11:46:37 am »
No info in the catalog thread. I lurked the 115sr. It was about that size, just with the "v" baffle and 2 x15s. I emailed the guy and he may still have it! He's calling me tomorrow after he checks. Fingers crossed!
This is were the estate sale was. Prepare to drool. I did.
http://a.blip.tv/guitar-shop-tv/brent-ware-vintage-amp-collection-4992553

I'm still not sure what you're talking about. The 115SR had one 15", in a front loaded horn with a port. The baffle, forming the horn, wasn't exactly a V. The sides were curved to form an exponential horn flare. It was similar to, but smaller than, a JBL design that was quite popular back in the day.

Ah, this is it: the JBL 4560.

And here is the Sunn 115SR:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 05:33:23 pm by Isaac »
Isaac

Offline Jeff Troy

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2011, 07:48:08 pm »
I had four of those 115SR cabinets with two Coliseum Large Radial Horns with my Sunn Coliseum PA back in 1975. Awesome sound system in its day. I had a Coliseum Audio Control (8 ch) mixer, a Coliseum slave for the cabinets, one concert slave for the horns and another concert slave for the four monitor cabinets -- two small guys with a 12 in each cab as monitors for the drummer and B3 guy, and two 410SR cabs the we used for side monitors to shoot down the front line. All of it came from Metro Music in Atlanta, along with some other Sunn gear, a Wurlitzer electronic piano and a good size wall of Fender amps.

Sure would love to find some of those 115SRs for "cheap," but I already have more gear than I'll ever need - really!

Warmest...
759 New Holland Ave.
Lancaster PA 17602
C: 717-917-3670
www.bandmix.com/jefftroy
www.jefftroy.com (under construction)

Offline shibbz

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2011, 04:04:28 am »
The cab I saw was essentially one of the 4x15 cabs with the v baffle cut in half. A 2x15 in a box the size of a 1x15.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2011, 12:35:32 pm »
Okay, that makes sense, and fits your description. But did Sunn ever actually make anything like that, or is it, in fact, a 415 cut in half? People do things like that, sometimes.
Isaac

Offline Johnny Guitar

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2011, 05:05:35 pm »
Hello Jeff,
The cab you bought is a Studio PA cab, minus the Horn.  I have 2 with original JBL components and they sound great.  You probably noticed they have Speaker Stand Mounts on the bottom of the cab.  That was probably a "First" for a Factory Cab.  Here are some pics & info.  The pic of the Studio PA cab is not mine and shows a rare "West" replacement speaker in the cab and is missing the Pole Mount.  "West" was another hand built Dynaco / Sunn based amplifier made by Dave West after inspecting an early Sunn amp.  Check out his web site at " westlabs.com"  I have an early West "Grande" that is similar to a 200S. 
Johnny G.

Offline madaradio

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2011, 05:58:37 pm »
Cool!

I have 2 Studio PA cabs along with matching head, and have never bothered to peek inside.

I use the rig with guitar and it sounds great.  The cabs are really nice sounding.